Using 'overhead' stands instead of 'combo' stands for lights?

Mark Kenfield

• Premium Member

Hi Guys,

I recently went through a bit of a debacle with a set of Matthews Triple-Riser combo stands I bought - basically they're much bigger packed down, than is stated online, so they wouldn't fit in my ute. This forced me to get rid of them (at a rather frustrating loss), and now I need replacements.

The maximum closed length I can fit into the ute is 1.45m/4.75', which rules out every triple-riser combo in existence except for the Kupo 'Master High Cine Stands'. Which I've never seen with my own eyes (they're not a common brand down here in Australia) but I've seen some Kupo gear and it's been very nice.

Double-riser combos don't go high enough, so they're out of contention too. However I've stumbled across the Avenger "A3042CS Medium Overhead Stand"

And it seems a good match for the specs I want - goes up to 4.2m high, supports up to 40kg, Avenger's terrific build-quality, and it packs down to just 135cm in length.

I'm sure it'll be great for supporting my 12x12 overheads, but I'm wondering if there are any gotchas I should look out for when it comes to using the 'overhead' stands to support lights? Is the way the legs are more horizontal than a conventional combo stand likely to make them less stable or capable of supporting a heavier item above them? What's the catch?

My biggest lights at the moment are a 1.2k HMI PAR and Arrilite 2000s, so there's nothing too big they'd have to support. The biggest units these stands would likely be used for are an Arri M18 or a 5K Fresnel.

Any help would be much appreciated - as it's damn near impossible to find info on overhead stands online.

Cheers,

Mark

• Premium Member

Thanks Sanjay, It says the load capacity is 40kg at maximum extension and drops to 4.5kg at a 6 degree incline, which is the same specs as my A4050CS boom stand - and that thing's a beast. So I'm confident they can handle the weight, it's the stability of the flatter legs and the smaller spacing between the two contact points of the base that I worry about.

Edited by Mark Kenfield

• Premium Member

Thanks Sanjay, I went and checked out one of the Avenger overhead models yesterday, but it turns out the grip head is permanently fixed to the top riser, so the stands can't be packed down neatly enough to fit anyway.

Do you ever use extension risers on top of combo stands to get things higher up? Are they stable enough to be safe?

Well this is info after the fact but those Matthews combos could have been cut down to fit the UTE.

Same with the Avenger stands.

I'll have to look at an Avenger but I think the grip head is held in place with roll pins, knock em out with a punch. Pretty easy.

Of course this does take away from their overall height but if you just need a few inches less to fit it can be done.

Take the collars off and cut the risers. Don't cut the bottom of the riser because they are flared to keep them from sliding out of the collar when extended.

• Premium Member

That's impossible, the collapsed length of the stand is the sum total of the receiver sections of each riser and the length of the legs. Shortening the risers isn't going to reduce that collapsed length in any way.

Thanks Sanjay, I went and checked out one of the Avenger overhead models yesterday, but it turns out the grip head is permanently fixed to the top riser, so the stands can't be packed down neatly enough to fit anyway.

Do you ever use extension risers on top of combo stands to get things higher up? Are they stable enough to be safe?

I dont (or very rarely) use extension risers. They are used frequently though. I prefer to get a bigger stand. They torque the stand a lot more than the stand was designed to bear , especially in windy conditions or any kind of offset load.

That's impossible, the collapsed length of the stand is the sum total of the receiver sections of each riser and the length of the legs. Shortening the risers isn't going to reduce that collapsed length in any way.

Doh! Sorry about that- it was a couple Hi Hi roller stands we did it to. Different legs.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

As a little update to this thread, I ended up going with four of the Kupo 'Master High Cine Stands', their triple-riser combos. And in short? I'm delighted. Build quality is superb, much better than the Matthews and not far off the Avengers, and the design is fantastic, significantly more compact when folded up than any other triple-riser out there.

They also have a triple-function head which allows you to secure the 16mm/baby pin at 90 degrees in addition to straight up, this is super handy for certain rigging jobs, as you can mount your light in the junior receiver and then use the baby pin at 90 degrees to attach a flag or frame to the same stand - very efficient stuff.

I'm now a definite fan of the Kupo gear. They also make these brilliant quick setup c-stand bases which setup in seconds - they bring a smile to my face every time you open or close them. They'd easily save you several minutes over the course of a shooting day.