Shooting car interior on Super 16mm

I'll be shooting my first year thesis film soon on the Arri SR2. Really excited to shoot on super 16! But I'm concerned for the lighting of my film... The premise of the story is a convenience store robbery gone wrong. It will feature shots of a car interior in evening light; how will the latitude of the film serve with the natural light? I will probably be routing for the high speed Kodak stock, we also have choice of a Fuji stock. If I could get access to the generator my program has, I may be able to setup some lights, but that is a slim chance since it is reserved for 2nd year students. How would you guys go about this situation? Would it be smarter to shoot in afternoon light?

What lenses are you using? If you’re shooting on Super Speeds, then wide open on 500T will be a pretty robust starting point. You will need to do some pre-rigging, especially because it’s a night shoot. I recommend using LED lights as they are versatile and easily battery-powered, and cheap. Shoot a test if you can.

I recently made this for the wedding of some close friends, as sort of a test for a later project. The room was metering at T1.0 at 24 fps EI 500, so I kept the super speeds wide-open. This is the very bottom of the exposure scale for this film. I even over cranked to 75 fps and still managed to pull an image out of it.

Edited by Kenny N Suleimanagich

What lenses are you using? If you’re shooting on Super Speeds, then wide open on 500T will be a pretty robust starting point. You will need to do some pre-rigging, especially because it’s a night shoot. I recommend using LED lights as they are versatile and easily battery-powered, and cheap. Shoot a test if you can.

I recently made this for the wedding of some close friends, as sort of a test for a later project. The room was metering at T1.0 at 24 fps EI 500, so I kept the super speeds wide-open. This is the very bottom of the exposure scale for this film. I even over cranked to 75 fps and still managed to pull an image out of it.

Hey Kenny, I'll be using a set of Illumina's, with an aperture range of T1.3 to T16. I'm very curious about the LED lights. What kind of these would I grab and where? Shooting begins next month.. So I will need to figure all this out pretty soon.. I'll have to do some meter tests.

I think those images you shot at the wedding hold up great!

Thanks for the reply,

Cheers

Edited by Joshua Cleland

For an LED, look for something battery-powered with a high CRI. I love the Wescott Ice Light, but it's not cheap. Manfrotto makes a nice portable one with a relatively high CRI (90+), you could get a few of those and tuck them into places in the car interior accordingly. Will you be using a trailer, car mount, or handheld from inside?

those lite pads are great, I would suggest using them for fill. basically gel them up to match the street lights and have them on pretty dim just to give you a base exposure.

can also use em to get an edge sometimes but it can look a little forced.

500t wide open at t1.3 and you can make some great pictures.

find area where there is a lot of street light ...neons signs and stuff in store fronts are also great!

• Premium Member

If your shoot is not that long you might want to try orientating the car towards the sunset / magic hour, when the sky is purple / orange / etc exposing your film so the sky has still a bit of that reading and let the actors be cut by it, you will even see their faces.

Place a couple of polyboards in the interior of the car if you need a fill and shoot.

I know nothing about the script but if I were going to shoot it and a raw and powerful image like that could go with the story, I would shoot it that way.

Have a good day.