Ben McKinnon

Hello!

We just launched the second instalment of our Kin Fables trilogy titled Salvage. Shot on the west coast of Newfoundland on the Red Epic using Zeiss Super Speed lenses. I'd love to hear what this community has to say about the film, on all aspects. Thanks for taking the time to watch!

https://vimeo.com/119777338

• Premium Member

I'm torn between commenting because it looks quite nice, and withholding my comments because it looks like Red. I'm being super-critical, but those cameras just don't hold highlights nicely. It's especially a shame on something like this which is quite muted and cautious in colour tone and demands nice highlights. What was your approach to exposure?

I don't know how to say what I want to say without it coming off as excessively negative. It's pretty, I'd be happy to have shot it. It's just very... Red.

P

I'm torn between commenting because it looks quite nice, and withholding my comments because it looks like Red. I'm being super-critical, but those cameras just don't hold highlights nicely. It's especially a shame on something like this which is quite muted and cautious in colour tone and demands nice highlights. What was your approach to exposure?

I don't know how to say what I want to say without it coming off as excessively negative. It's pretty, I'd be happy to have shot it. It's just very... Red.

P

Well, thanks... I guess haha

What scenes in particular do you think the highlights are not holding?

Exposure was tricky sometimes, due to the constantly changing weather. Clouds, no clouds, lots of clouds, big sun... Know what I mean?

I mostly always tried to have our histogram pushed as much as possible to the left without clipping the highlights.

Is there something that could have been done to avoid this "Red" look?