Below The Line (website)

Josh Taylor

Is anyone here a member at findfilmwork.com?

I am really curious if a 1st AC can get work from the site. Do you just get the production email or phone and hit them up and ask about if they are hiring (in basic terms)?

Most work for anyone is going to come from personal recommendations. And I'd avoid the phrase "hit them up" and go with the more professional, "contact them." But that's just me.

• Premium Member

You've got to hustle. Meet people for coffee, volunteer on projects if you have to - put yourself out there and impress people.

A pure meritocracy would be a wonderful thing, but it doesn't exist, so work with the system rather than railing against it.

If you live in a remote area BTL is good to find out if anything is coming to a town near you. Then you could find work as an additional P.A. Find someone with a radio and ask for the key P.A. and see if they could use any extra hands. Long shot but it has worked for some people I know.

Once on the crew you can potentially network with some set techs and try to make some connections there. I've never tried to get work as anything but a DP which is totally different so I'm not an expert but these are just things I've heard from others. It's much easier if you live in a city where there's constant production because you are more likely to meet people in the business and get referrals.

There's also the rental house / production company route which is to just google companies in your area and rental houses and look for work that way. You're bound to run into people who are connected in some way to entertainment in film and tv. Hope that helps.