BMPCC+Cooke 6mm, 9.5mm and 12mm

Daniel Rewijk

Hello guys,

SK4 + BMPCC

I am wondering if the Cooke SK4 lenses are working well on the BMPCC(Blackmagic Pocket Cinema camera). I look forward to rent a 9.5mm or a 12mm T2 Cooke SK4 lens. I was wondering if someone has used this setup before and if they can confirm if there is a problem or maybe a benefit to this setup. I would test it my self but they are rented out for now so thats no option. I would love to see some footage so I can see for my self if it is a good choice to use it for a film. I am especialy curiouse what it does to people and their skin tones and the effect it has on there face.

S4I + BMPCC
Also I wonder if people used the 14mm T2 35mm-lens with the BMPCC. I have a feeling it will lose thier feel in the out of focus area when used on a Pocket camera. Would love to hear what you guys think. Footage would be great of course.

Thank you for your time,

Daniel

• Premium Member

Cooke SK4s are among the best lenses ever made for the Super 16 format, it doesn't really matter what capture technology you use, they will "work well" with whatever you have.

I mean it's not like certain sensors will work better with crappy lenses rather than good ones. You should be happy that production is willing to pay for top quality glass.

The 35mm format S4 lenses are perfectly useable for smaller sensors.

Thank you for your reply Dom Jeager.
I also found Zeiss super speeds would work nice with the pocket camera.

they have a wider range of lenses for rent over here and they are way cheaper.

What would be you opinion on that? I did see the film Moonrise Kingdom and felt

pulled out of the story since the film feels to soft for my eyes.

It might be the lenses, it might be the camera or the S16 format, What do you think?

• Premium Member

Zeiss Super Speeds are about 30 years older in design than Cooke S4s (or SK4s) and about a stop faster so a different choice, subtly different in look unless you shoot the Super Speeds wide open.

Either choice is fine in my opinion, but the best option would be to test them yourself.