NO MORE SINGLE 8 FILM IN JAPAN

I just spoke with the staff at this shop:

http://film.club.ne.jp/english/englishindex.html

Apparently, they are the only shop in Asia to sell Single-8mm film, and they currently have ZERO stock.

Q1. Where can I get SIngle-8 film worldwide?

Q2. Possible to stuff Super-8 film (which is readily avaialbe) into a Single -8 cartridge? Although I'm awaiting the arrival of a Super-8 camera that I got from eBay, I'd like to put the Single-8 to use.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Paul

try here: http://www.super8.nl/english/e_index.htm

they get all their stock from Retro Enterprises who also manufacture all the film themselves, so once they sell out of their current stock that will be the end for single8 (unless Retro Enterprises make some more)

yes, you can load super8 into single8 carts, you’ll need to find some pre 1970’s fuji carts as only these can be opened up. This is essentially what Retro Enterprises sells

The cartridges can be found on ebay or Yahoo auctions in Japan and are available in 25, 50, and 200asa (if you want 100asa you will have to notch hack)

Loading the cartridges is fairly straight forward but will require some practice

Also, the single8 cart will only take between 25 or 40ft of film; so one Kodak 50ft super8 cart = two Fuji single8 carts. This means processing 50ft of film costs twice as much as most labs charge by the number of cartridges rather than the total length of film

• 3 weeks later...

Even later made FUJI Single-8 cartridges can be reused. The less preferred method is to cut the original film upon removal leaving several inches to which Super 8mm can be spliced to, then spool it up (all in the dark of course). They can also be opened, via a similar method to opening the KODAK Super 8 cartridges, via scoring of the welded/glued seams with a single edge razor blade, then carefully prying them open along the seam with a putty knife or flat screwdrivers, taking care to move along so the stress isn't all at one spot. I have been able to salvage 80% or better of either Super 8mm or Single-8 cartridges over the years, for reuse. Amazing thing about such a cheap plastic unit, is that I still have the original cartridges I opened back in 1981 and they still work fine. Tells you how long something that was intended to be thrown out can last.