Would you live here?

scott karos

• Premium Member

You should also watch some older films that were shot on black & white to get a sense of tonal control. Here are a few films to look at:

Casablanca (1942)

White Heat (1949)

From Here to Eternity (1953)

On the Waterfront (1954)

Paths of Glory (1957)

The Seventh Seal (1957)

The Hustler (1961)

Days of Wine & Roses (1962)

To Kill A Mockingbird (1962)

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966)

Are most black and white films of today mostly made in post production when they do the color correction? It seems that they rarely shoot the film in b and w on set.

I don't have the time to research this exhaustively, but "Ida"(2014) which just won the Best Foreign Film category at the Oscars, was shot on an Alexa, and converted to B&W. I think, I've read, that ARRI is coming out with a 'monochrome' camera.

"The Artist"(2011) winning Best Picture at the Oscars, was shot according to IMDB on Kodak Vision 3 500T, and so would have been converted as well. (And in addition to B&W... was a 'Silent' film...).

I'm sure there have been many Real B&W films made even now, but in terms of standard Hollywood Major Motion Pictures, it does not look like actual B&W is used.

The B&W category for the Oscars lasted until the mid-60s as a separate category.

In terms of my own experience, the Wife and I shot Real B&W and Color still film for wedding coverage until we switched over to completely digital DSLR coverage. We then used Photoshop to convert to B&W as required.

Edited by John E Clark