Adorama rentals

Benjamin Lamb

Does anyone here have experience with Adorama rentals in NYC? They're prices are really cheap compared to other rental houses, but online they seem to get pretty mixed reviews. I've heard from a few people that really love them, so I don't know...

I haven't rented from Adorama but I have had productions that went cheap and rented from other houses that were undercutting places like AbelCine and other trusted sources. I would say the tradeoff in general to cheap rentals is that the productions that go there, often have students and lesser experienced crew who end up using the gear and the equipment then gets mishandled and abused, returned, put right back on the shelf and then sent back out with no one even noticing.

This makes it something of a crapshoot when you get your stuff whether it will be in good working order. So have your crew inspect it all thoroughly at checkout. Good policy in general but especially important anywhere you think you're getting a "great deal".

That's seems smart. Yeah, I emailed AbelCine and they seem great, but the prices are so high. So much higher than Adorama. Then I just had a friend who has had a lot of experience with them tell me they were pretty good, so...

But that makes sense about what you said. Are you basically just out of luck if there is a problem at checkout?

I rent from Adorama all of the time. Their stuff has always come to me very well maintained. The checkout process is very thorough (although, there are no stations like a traditional checkout). But they do make sure and let you go over everything before it goes out. Always are great with support too. They're pretty much my go-to for the type of stuff I'm renting: Kinos, batteries, jib arms, sliders, cameras, recorders, lenses.

Does anyone here have experience with Adorama rentals in NYC? They're prices are really cheap compared to other rental houses, but online they seem to get pretty mixed reviews. I've heard from a few people that really love them, so I don't know...

If you need any help or advice, you are most welcome to email me: Helen@adorama.com