"Movie recording has been stopped automatically" problem. canon 60d

YuJun Kim

I use canon 60d.

I have been all over the internet to find a solution to the "Movie recording has been stopped automatically" problem.

I tried using 32gb class10 memory cards (Lexar & sandisk).

I format everytime before i go shoot a video.

however i still have a issue with recording a video.

it could stop at anytime. sometimes it stops recording after 10 secs or 2 mins.

sometimes i don't have a problem shooting for 8~10 mins at once.

i have never tried to shoot a video longer than 10 mins.

so, any suggestion?

• 2 weeks later...

I borrowed a DSLR once to shoot some video from a friend who only used it for stills. This happened all the time while I had it, but the owner never noticed or cared since he only shot stills and his SD cards were just ordinary, cheap ones. I learned the main cause of this error is the write speed of the SD card in the camera. The slower it is, the more likely the video will fill up the camera's buffer as its bottlenecking to get onto the card and that will stop the recording. Get an SD card with a higher write speed. Even ones that are "class 10" still vary greatly in their actual write speeds.

See this video for an explanation:

i have had problems with generic sd cards, not all are the same , some have no issues some do, but if you pay for a better class of sd ram like sd extreme, those are much more reliable

SanDisk Extreme hasn't given me any trouble since switching. Thumbs up to those cards.

However, I've not been succesful using it with a custom bitrate in magic lantern. Not really an issue though if you dont use that setting.

On top what the other suggested, and I know it's a long shot, but recently I had a friend coming to me with the same problem, and we discover he didn't have the latest firmware update, and although the camera did record video from time to time, he always had problems with video.

So do go to M mode on the dial, then check if you have the latest firmware(it's 1.1.1 ), if you don't have it, you could download it easily from Canon website.

Edited by Oron Cohen

• 7 months later...

YuJun Kim

This mostly happens because of the memory card, if changing the memory card still does not work change your settings in frame rate from 24/25fps ALL - I to 24/25fps IPB and then try testing. ALL - I is low compression[high quality] and some cards cannot handle recording in that format.

This should do the trick.