Company 3

Benjamin Lamb

I wouldn't choose a facility just on its status in the industry. most high end post houses have comprable systems. I would choose based on the colorist and how you work with them.

this assumes your talking all digital here. Film Telecine equipment varies a bit more and for the transfer I'd choose based on what system you want.

Watch reels (although most are commerically oriented and not the best) and have conversations with colorists.

I might get flack for putting it this way, but I think finding the right colorist is like finding the right person to cut your hair.... the process is very collaberative where they are using a bit of creativity and alot of technical ability to figure out what you want to see and making it a reality. The best technically skilled colorist isn't neceessarily going to give the results you want.... you need someone who can speak your language a bit. I've only worked with 3 different people and its been different with each.

also like finding a barber/hair person w/e most people find a colorist based on referals I'd say. Ask shooters you like in your circle who they have used and how it went. even if they are just acquaintances.

• Premium Member

Worked a lot with Company 3. They're great. Dave Hussey is an excellent colorist that I've worked with for many years. Beau Leon is another. Both of them have extensive background in music video and commercials. Stefen Sonnenfeld is the owner and senior grader (every blockbuster you can think of), Stephen Nakamura (Seven, Panic Room etc). It's a solid shop that can do everything from the smallest MV to the biggest Hollywood blockbuster.

http://www.company3.com/artists-page/?section=senior-colorists