Blackmagic Design NAB Predictions

Will Montgomery

• Premium Member

Film scanner yes… I've worked with it and the thing is ready for prime time. It appears they've been delaying release purposely. My guess is, they've got a supplier issue.

Blackmagic is very tight lipped about this NAB this year. My guess is, the pocket will either be a minor update (faster processor to allow slow mo) OR an all-new camera in a different case. Blackmagic is a forward thinking company and they've admitted to not updating older cameras because they'd rather release new ones.

In my opinion, Blackmagic needs to re-develop the 2.5k and 4k large sensor cinema camera's into a form factor and package that's usable, with interchangeable batteries and such. In my dream I really hope they do it this year as I can't stand the current 4k packaging and I'd like one to shoot a feature with next year. Even if they added interchangeable batteries and slow-mo capabilities.

With all that said. I have a feeling we'll be disappointed yet again. The URSA is an unusable toy and it's depressing they went that direction. If that's the future, we may be poop out of luck unfortunately. :(

I do appreciate their continued updates for the older cameras, though. I continue to be amazed at the images the Cinema Camera produces. Even in ProRes. Compared to the current generation of what's on the market, it's astounding I've been able to get these images for two years now.

I look forward to seeing how the industry will respond to the film scanner once it's on the market.