Help lens choice for arriflex 16s

JB Earl

I'm trying to decide on lenses for my arriflex. I have a few old schneiders but was looking at an angenieux 9.5- 57 f1.6. How would that lens compare to the late model Schneiders such as multicoated 25 1.5? I'm especially interested in performance at wide aperatures

Thanks

• Premium Member

Overall, I've found Angenieux lenses to be a bit soft. I have a Zeiss 16mm, 32mm & 50mm. All of them perform very well wide open. I also have a Cooke 9mm which looks very nice if you are will to live with a bit of distortion.

Thanks Bill

I've heard that the 9.5-57 is the exception. I do have a Zeiss 8mm and 9.5mm Kinetal. I'll have to keep looking for some Zeiss in the old Arri mounts. There aren't too many choices out there. That's why I'm hoping at least the later Schneiders are okay.

Edited by JB Earl

• Premium Member

Thanks Bill

I've heard that the 9.5-57 is the exception. I do have a Zeiss 8mm and 9.5mm Kinetal. I'll have to keep looking for some Zeiss in the old Arri mounts. There aren't too many choices out there. That's why I'm hoping at least the later Schneiders are okay.

The 9.5-57 may very well be, especially if it is a later model that the old 12-120. Truthfully, I haven't played around with Angenieux glass since college.

Give Visual Products a call regarding the Zeiss lenses. Yes, not cheap, but you're guaranteed to get quality stuff rather than taking a chance on ebay. Ask for Mike Casey.