I was recently accepted to both UCLA and USC's film schools but I am having a very, very tough time making a decision. I will be a freshman this fall and I'm 100% sure I want to be a filmmaker. Throughout my life I have always been interested in writing. I started writing short stories in elementary and transitioned to writing screenplays in high school. My major for UCLA is Film & Television and my major for USC is Film & Television Production. I'm especially interested in Screenwriting, Directing, and Editing though I know I won't be able to declare concentrations until my junior year at the earliest. Also, I am from California so even though USC is more expensive, out of state tuition is not a factor.

UCLA has been my dream school since I was nine years old so I'm completely incapable of making a non-biased decision here. Both are great schools which doesn't make this any easier. I love UCLA's campus and the creative freedom that comes with their film program a lot more than USC's, but USC comes with the trojan mafia which opens so many doors all on its own. I'm really stuck here and any advice would be helpful.

• Premium Member

Why would you want to be unbiased in a moment which will define your life and your life alone? Both schools ARE great, and you'll be in LA either way; so I would say you should make your choice based on which school your happier at; which sounds like it's UCLA.

• Premium Member

First of all Shai, congratulations on getting accepted to two fine universities. I say this from personal experience and from being a part of that "Trojan mafia", USC has the more prestigious program with more connections after graduation. I work with more grads from SC than UCLA. I'm not sure why but that's the reality. But you have to go where you will be the most comfortable. Good luck and FIGHT ON!!!

G

• Upvote 2

Thanks guys! I guess my main concern is that if I choose to go to UCLA I will miss out on some of the opportunities that I would've been presented if I'd gone to USC. I want to have a great college experience at my dream school but I don't want to sacrifice my career to do so.

• Premium Member

I think UCLA would question that statement that attending was tantamount to sacrificing one's career.

The thing to remember is that ultimately you are more responsible for your career success than what school you graduated from, but if going to USC makes you feel more confident and you can handle that debt, then go for it.

I think UCLA would question that statement that attending was tantamount to sacrificing one's career.

The thing to remember is that ultimately you are more responsible for your career success than what school you graduated from, but if going to USC makes you feel more confident and you can handle that debt, then go for it.

After rereading my comment I realize that statement sounds a lot worse than I meant it. Both schools would be beneficial to my career and I completely understand that. I definitely don't feel like UCLA is a bad choice (I wouldn't have spent 9 years dreaming of being a student there if I did), I just don't know what the right choice is. I'm 17, confused, and a bit overwhelmed. Sorry for the confusion and thank you for the words of wisdom!

• Premium Member

If you are talented and motivated, either school will benefit you. David's correct! School is not going to hand you your career, you'll have to earn it. I'm sure that you already know that. Best of luck to you.

G