Saying goodbye to S8... Selling my Canon 1014 XL-S

Matt Stevens

It's official. I am moving out of the country. This has long been a dream of mine and now it is a reality. But I cannot shoot Super8 where I am going so I am selling my Canon 1014 XL-S plus all accessories.

As some of you may know, my Canon was serviced by Willard Engineering last year. I went through hell getting it back from him (long story, no need to re-hash) and thank the maker he did his job well because I did shoot film with it, have it developed and recently projected it. Everything was 100%.

My big fear was that he might screw up the light meter, but everything was spot on.

I have attached a picture of what is being sold. It's the entire kit. Camera, 85 filter & polarizer, original box and manual, lens hood, microphone, ear piece, etc.

AND both the Wide Angle and Telephoto lenses. MINT. And I do mean mint.

I'll even throw in two rolls of Tri-X that have been in the freezer (I have a lot of film I can sell too)

I also have a stunning Pelican Case with foam I custom cut for the camera and accessories. I'll sell that if you are also interested.

The Camera is on eBay, but I am perfectly willing to bypass them and save us both some cash since their fees are pretty much outrageous.

Please understand, this is a sad day for me. I had made the decision to keep the camera and keep shooting, but the opportunity to move overseas is too much to pass up. There will be no conceivable way of buying or processing film where I am going, so I really can't hold on any longer.

Thanks to everyone here who helped me learn the ropes years ago. This forum was my teacher.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-1014-XL-S-Super-8mm-Film-Camera-SERVICED-MINT-Wide-Angle-Lens-Box-amp-More-/291423303073?

Canon%20Img_3831.jpg

Edited by Matt Stevens

So sorry to hear, Matt! That's a sad day. At least if/when you come back I fee sure other 1014s and super 8 film will be here in at least one form or another.

I may be interested in film you have, especially E100D or other color reversal. Fee free to PM me if you have time/interest.

Good luck!

Dave

David, I could not send you a PM. The website said you could not receive them.

All my color reversal is gone. I sold it last year. What I have left is some Tri-X (three rolls, I believe) and five Kodak 200T and the same for 500T.
They were all in my freezer since I came down to NC last Feb 28 (2014).

Sold the camera, accesories and Pelican Case. A sad day, indeed.

But I have ten rolls of negative left, plus some Tri-X.

matt Hi ,

Sorry to hear you are giving up filmmaking ! but why sell your camera ? As like us all there time's when we put down our's camera , and do other.s thing[s in life ! it's never over till it's over ?

I'm not giving up on filmmaking, gents. But Super8 really crashed and burned with the loss of color reversal. That was 90% of what I did and it hurts to lose it. Were I still in NYC or maybe in L.A. it would be one thing... But I am living in the outer limits of the Twilight Zone down here. I haven't shot professionally in over a year. :(

Not to mention i board a plane to China three weeks from now for a month long trip. That trip will result in my either taking a day job over there (and a new adventure) or coming home with funding to do a full feature film (micro-budgeted), which would be shot digitally.

Too much to go over. But filmMAKING is not dead to me. Owning Super8 is. For now. Just for now.

• Premium Member

But Super8 really crashed and burned with the loss of color reversal.

I sorely miss Kodachrome, and Ektachrome 100D did look great, but 50D negative is an amazing stock for Super 8. If your thing was actually cutting film and projecting I feel your pain. If you were transferring and editing on computer it's still a great time for Super 8.

That being said there is something freeing about getting rid of things, especially before a big move like that so I applaud your strength in letting go. You can always pick up another camera down the road (probably for less money!) if the format is still viable a few years from now.