LTR 54 viewfinder is cockeyed

John R Woods

This is my first post, so... Hello!

I have an Aaton LTR 54 super 16. I've had it for quite a while, but I earn my living outside of filmmaking and haven't had a chance to use it. When I look through the viewfinder, it doesn't appear to be correctly aligned. If I open my left eye and look at a vertical line (right now, the wall furnace) the image is upright. When I look through the viewfinder, the image appears tilted slightly to the left. The LTR manual available online says:

For manual upright image adjustment, a perfectly horizontal image can be obtained as follows: Open both eyes, and fix them upon a vertical object (e.g., a window); align the two images by sliding the knob right of the eyepiece. The setting will be correct, whatever the initial position of the camera. In order to eliminate errors due to perspective, make this adjustment with a prime lens with a 50 mm focal length. The correct position is fixed into place by tightening the same knob.

I see the knurled ring where the viewfinder assembly attaches to the body, with the knurled set knob on it. This is the diopter adjustment ring. Behind that, not part of the viewfinder, but on the handle assembly, is a knurled knob with a dot on it. It doesn't seem to do anything, but I think it's supposed to be the position lock. I see the lever for the viewfinder shutter just in front of the eyepiece. I don't see any other means of adjustment.

Is there a way to make the viewfinder image match what I'm seeing with my eye? Were I certain the image in the viewfinder is what is going on the film, I wouldn't have much of a problem with it. But I don't know whether to trust it.

There should be a small screw on the bottom of the viewfinder tube, about one inch in front of your eye. Unlock it and slide it forwards or backwards until the image is upright. It could also be that you need to rotate the viewfinder 360 degrees if there is no internal stop.

Thank you, Dirk. I'm over 100 miles away from my camera right now, but I'll look at it when I'm home. I don't remember seeing a small screw. Is it in front of my eye, i.e., along the longitudinal axis, parallel to the body and lens; or is it on the tube perpendicular to the camera body?

• 2 weeks later...

*sigh*

The good thing about having a 'real job' is that I can finally afford to indulge in my hobby. The bad thing is that I have very little time to do it! A friend asked me to bring my camera to a shoot that is happening in several weeks. There was an issue with one of the magazines, so I had to give my kit to a tech before I had a chance to try Dirk's advice. (Time is running out!) Since the tech has the camera anyway, he's going to look at it. I'll make sure I knows what he did.

Thanks again, Dirk!

Edited by John R Woods