Description of old and new film processing/development process

I'm fascinated by film and in particular the journey of film from an exposed magazine through to film projection (a rarity these days). Unfortunately my understanding right now is fairly limited.

I've recently read this interesting article which gives a nice overview but lacks a lot of detail:

http://gearpatrol.com/2015/03/20/how-motion-picture-film-is-made/

Could anyone recommend some articles, books, videos to take a look at that would help me fully understand:

• What happens once film gets to the lab, including a description of each stage and an explanation of why each stage is necessary
  • How traditional colour timing is done e.g. how printer lights work and affect the image, what equipment is needed
  • How is the scanning done for a DI now?
  • How special processes are performed e.g cross processing
  • What different prints are made before hitting the theater .e.g inter negatives, inter positives

As a 2nd AC who occasionally still gets to shoot 35mm and 16mm I'm also especially interested in how the things I do get utilised in the processing stage:

• Who is responsible for reading the film labels on the cans, unloading them and feeding them to the machine
  • Who reads my neg reports and how are they interpreted?
  • I know what a frameleader is used for, but how is the frame actually checked in the lab?
  • How exactly are grey charts and colour charts used for timing the print?

It's obviously a large topic but if anyone can feed me a few starting points that would be much appreciated. I've found a few Kodak slides on processing which give a bit more information but I think they also expect the reader to have a bit of a better understanding!

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello James ,

If you can visit near by processing lab , its much more easier to understand . Unfortunately very few are reaming . We have film processing lab here in india . you can visit our site www.ramnord.com

• 2 weeks later...

Hi James

Come and see us at Cinelab, will be very happy to show you the answers to your questions! We are in Slough, 10 mins from Pinewood and only half an hour on the train from Paddington.

email for my attention to enquiries@cinelab.london

cheers

Adrian