Confusion about Developing & Telecine

Alexander Boyd

Hello everyone,

planning to shoot a short film on 35mm, yet Fotokem's (student) rates - or better: my math - got my slightly confused. What I need is "Developing" + "Digitize/Telecine to ProRes 422" (no proper Coloring Sit-In session needed since I'm planning to grade the digital files with a befriended colorist). Doing the math, it looks like this:

"Develop Normal 35mm" – $0.09/feet –> $0.09 x 5400ft = $486

"Digitize to Client Drive (HD Source Tape)" – $125.00/hour –> $125.00 x 3hrs = $375

TOTAL = $861

This sounds incredibly cheap to me. Am I missing something here? I guess the "Digitize to Client Drive (HD Source Tape)" is not what I initially conceived as a Telecine to ProRes 422 files?

Thanks in advance for the resolution,

Alex

Their student rates are significantly discounted. I think the real rate is something like 12 or 14 cents a foot. And I'm pretty sure there's tax, too.

Not to mention the over $4000 5400' of raw stock is going to cost from Kodak. Don't get me wrong, I love film and I wholeheartedly support your decision to shoot it, but I would struggle to call it incredibly cheap.

Edited by Josh Gladstone

Hi Josh, thanks a lot for your input. Of course it's expensive to shoot on film, don't get me wrong, yet I was positively surprised about the Developing & Telecine rates. Here in Austria, where I have shot most of my analog projects, the numbers for these services are nowhere near close to those in LA. But then again, there's an industry and probably much more demand in LA.

But makes me feel positive about continuing to shoot on film.

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

With 35mm cameras so incredibly cheep these days to purchase, the film purchase costs might be what you used to rent a camera for on a whole film...so while still expensive it is much less than it used to be. Plenty of labs will make good deals for you including scanning so I'd encourage small film makers to at least investigate the possibility.

• 3 weeks later...