I kept wondering about the different solutions for doing smooth 360 dregree rotations along the vieweing axis.
Famous shots like those from 2001 come to mind. Often used in delirious POV states or outer body experience kind of moments.

The other day i stumbled across the oppenheimer 360° Spin head which seems to run around $25k if you're interested in buying instead of renting. So what else is there on the market? Or any smart DIY solutions perhaps?

Of course it its important to have a perfect smooth spin precisely at the center of the frame.

Cheers

Joris

Just had a post written up and then swiped in history ... guess its been a while for me since ive last posted on a forum.

Here's the short version:

I'm pretty sure almost everyone on here is familiar with the term dutch angle. Dutch 360 Roll, however I hadn't heard about as of yet.
Continuing research with this information yielded a lot of interesting solutions ranging from rather expensive to prosumer level to absolute DIY.

What this little video shows sure isn't a perfect solution. Yet I am sure if there is more time spent on accurately finding the nodal point this could work quite well for something with a small form factor

https://vimeo.com/4855358

Here's a few alternatives in case somebody else is trying to find out about this... Egripment, Camemax, Proaim.
Heard a thing or two about L-Brackets too.

If anybody cares to share a rig they used on a shoot with dutch 360 capabilities please share!
I'm very interested in hearing the pros and cons or if there were any special things to consider in regards to the camera move.

Cheers

Edited by Joris van den Berg

Hi Joris,

Have you came across the Skater Scope? It is a lens which rotates the image inside the lens-system so you do not need to rotate te camera but the prism inside the lens will rotate. I have used it several times in the more shallow areas or where time was lacking to do a proper line-up on my rollover rig.

http://www.pstechnik.de/en/skater-scope-pl-pl/a-1059/

good luck,,

Onno Perdijk

Keygrip, Amsterdam
www.solidgripsystems.eu

No, I hadnt! That looks like a very interesting solution. Thanks, Onno!

On first sight I figured it to be a special lens. Seems to work with PL mount though. Definately a cool solution for difficult situations.
Do you have any footage of it in use you can show?

Cheers