LTR 7 vs LTR 54

John R Woods

So I'm finally getting a chance to try out my LTR-54. A friend sent me a link to an LTR-7. Since the LTR-54 is being serviced before the shoot, and I thought a back-up camera would be a good idea, and especially since it was an extraordinary deal, I bought it. I actually shot some test footage yesterday. The LTR-54 has an Arri-B adapter and an Angenieux 9.5-57 mm f1.8 lens that doesn't cover super-16. The LTR-7 has a PL mount and a Zeiss 12-120 mm T2.4 super-16 Optex conversion. The older camera also has newer magazines.

As I understand it, the only real difference between the LTR-7 and the LTR-54 is the speeds at which they run. I'll have to find the serial numbers when I get a chance. I read here that the LTR-7 will run up to 32 fps, and the LTR-54 will run up to 54 fps. I started the LTR-7 for the first time, and it was running very fast. I looked at the speed control, and it was set to '70'. The manual I downloaded does say the LTR-7 can go to 32 fps.

So what's the deal with the '70' on the speed control? What other differences are there between the two models?

• 3 weeks later...

The LTR 7 may have been modified to run at the higher frame rate, it's not a standard factory speed. Since I gather you've got the 16 volt batteries, this could be the reason, since you don't need them for the camera's standard frame rates.