Super-16 lens conversion

John R Woods

In one of my kits I have a Zeiss 10-100mm T3 zoom lens. I have two Aaton LTR super-16 kits, but only one lens that covers the format. I'd like to 'steal' the Zeiss 10-100mm from my Eclair NPR kit and have it converted to S16 for use with the Aaton. Bernie at Super 16 Inc suggested I try Van Diemen in London for the conversion.

Does anyone know how much they charge for that? My 'real job' pays more than filmmaking (which ends up costing me money), so it doesn't make sense as a business investment. As it is, I'm 'camera-rich and cash-poor'. Is conversion worth it to the casual filmmaker? Or would it be better to just find a lens that's already been converted?

• Premium Member

Serious Gear in Seattle converted my 1.8 10-100 Zeiss to a 2.2 12-120 last year. It's a very tricky conversion and difficult to get it perfect but it's probably my favorite lens now for Super 16 film and my Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera. Not cheap but probably can be done for a little less than listed on his site. It's major work; not just slapping on an adapter...takes a lot of time and adjustment.

Here's a photo of the 1.8 converted...

53.jpg

Not sure if the T3 version is often converted to S16 or even possible. I have one of those too and love it; incredible glass even if not all that fast.

Charles Pickel is a member of this forum and owns Serious Gear, he'll be able to tell you if that conversion is possible; if not by him he'll know who can do it. Here's a link to the website which has contact info. Not sure if he'd want his email public so just pick it up there or call.

Serious Gear Website

Thanks for the info. I'm in Seattle at my real job twice a week. No way I can swing two kilobucks right now though. Might be cheaper without the PL mount. I already have a Zeiss for the PL-mount LTR-7; the LTR-54 that needs a proper lens has an Arri bayonet adapter for the Aaton mount. I'll give Mr. Pickel a call, probably in June, to see about bringing the lens in so he can look at it.

• Premium Member

Van Diemen does good work but they are very, very slow. I've had my Iscorama in their shop since early January and have no earthly idea when I'll be getting it back. Not that I'm complaining, but if you want your lens back sooner rather than later, I'd call Duclos Lenses in Chatsworth, CA: (818) 773-0600.