Beaulieu R16 Power Grip repair?

John R Woods

My Beaulieu R16 runs fine on external power. I just bought a newly-recelled 1,000 mA grip battery. It won't run on the grip battery. Checking the battery on the meter on the side of the R16, the needle only deflects half-way. I tested the battery with a multimeter. The outer ring shows about 8 volts, and the inner ring shows about 4 volts. Since the camera's meter shows half power, and one ring of the battery shows half power, I suspected that one of the wires in the Power Grip is bad.

I switched to 'resistance' on the multimeter. Looking at the plug that plugs into the camera body, with the pins on the lower side (pins at 9 o'clock, 6 o'clock, and 3 o'clock), I checked each pin corresponding to a ring on the battery, and each pin on the plug. The 3 o'clock pin on the plug corresponds to the centre pin on the battery side. I get a reading of about 1.3 ohms. The 6 o'clock pin on the plug corresponds to the pin on the battery side closest to the centre pin; thus, it corresponds to the nominal 3.6v inner ring on the battery. I get a reading of about the same as the first reading. That leaves the 9 o'clock pin on the plug. I'm not getting a reading on that one, which corresponds to the 7.2v ring of the battery.

Not being an electronically/electrically inclined person, and not having any idea of what I'm doing, it seems that when I use the battery on the Power Grip, the 7.2v power is not getting to the camera. The 3.6v is. Apparently I have a bad lead in the 3-pin XLR cord.

Can this be fixed? If so, can it be fixed by me? If so, how?

Good morning, Jean-Louis.

I'm new to the forum and can't find how to send emails. I went to your profile and attempted to send a message, but it wouldn't let me.

I'd love instructions on how to repair my Power Grip. I have little experience with that sort of thing, so I would take it on with trepidation. Du-All says they can repair it, but I don't know how much they would charge. I'd rather not spend $150 on a replacement, either! I think I'm capable of soldering wires. At least I hope I am. If I can fix it myself, that would be great.
Thank you for your help!
John