Arri IIC w/ S35 Full Aperture door but academy anamorphic ground glass

Benjamin Walter

Hi everyone,

I'm writing to you because I'd need your hellion my Arri 2C.

I just got it and measured the door to see it was Super35 4 perf full aperture but the ground glass has the size of academy anamorphic. It came also with another ground glass, the size of academy anamorphic but with the 1.85 lines.

I actually did a test shoot this past without thinking the ground glass would actually be different. So I framed with this academy 1.85 glass to a S35 door. Since it's only a test shoot, it's not too bad but I would love to know your opinion on this one as it seems pretty weird. Any thoughts ? I have a small commercial to come and we need the product to be 1.85 so I was wondering how to frame with this ground glass since I will be doing an extraction from the S35 frame.

Thanks so much !

Ben

• Premium Member

Since you have the 1.85 ground glass, just shoot a framing chart at the head of the roll so the telecine operator knows how you intended to frame the shot.

I've found the easiest way is to put a 50mm lens on, set to close focus, and set the tripod close to a wall. Tape a sheet of white paper to the wall and shine a bright flashlight into the eyepiece. This will project the ground glass onto the piece of paper thru the lens, so then just trace the ground glass markings onto the paper. A wide lens will project a bigger, dimmer image.

You can also just print out a framing chart and line the camera up to that, but then you have to deal with parallax so it can take some time to get all the markings lined up.

Thanks Satsuki !

Based on everything I've ever heard ("no S35 possible on the Arri IIC"), I never thought it would be possible to have it on this camera. But I draw the frame of the gate on the film and it fits the Full Aperture. I got it like that with a new PL mount. Maybe it was centered ?

As for the viewfinder, in order to have an idea where to frame, would the extra space be on the left side of the ground glass frame or right side ? Also, I launched a 2K scan at telecine of the Full Aperture S35 frame in order to be able to crop in post. Should I crop for a 1.85 academy ?

Thanks !

• Premium Member

The gate is probably still centered for N35. I'm guessing they put the S35 gate in there so that you could shoot anamorphic, which is basically Full Ap height but Academy width and Academy centered. Since there's no way of accurately framing for S35 Full Ap thru the viewfinder, I don't see the point of trying to shoot that format. If you want to end up with 1.85, then I would just use the 1.85 ground glass and shoot the framing chart for that. At least that way, you'll get exactly the composition you intended.

Thanks Satsuki ! Makes totally sense. In terms of scan, I asked Fotokem to do a 2K scan of S35 full aperture but now that I know that should I ask them to do a N35 anamorphic instead ? That way I don't loose resolution and can crop to 1.85. What do you think ?

• Premium Member

If they can scan the standard 35mm Academy width at 2048, then that's great, but many scanners have a fixed distance to the film and Full Aperture is 2048 but Standard/Academy is 1828 pixels across for a 2K scan... even though a 2K DCP for a 1.85 movie is 1998 across, 2048 across for a 2.40 movie.

• 2 months later...

The person selling this 2C just told me it has a full frame gate. I asked because the pic kinda looks like one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/35MM-ARRIFLEX-IIC-CAMERA-ARRI-PL-MOUNT-/151746896135?ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

"Hello,
Do you know off hand if this unit has an academy gate or something else?
thanks,
Phillip"

"Hi Phillip

The IIC is a full frame gate and the lens is center on Accd. Thanks for looking Ken At Stone Cinema Eng."

Edited by Phillip Mosness