Convenient and easy for Blackmagic Cinema Camera (RAW to ProRes)

Vadim Joy

Hello, I'm shooting a promo video soon and have to decide between shooting RAW or ProRes now. Shooting outside, in the forest. Natural light. That's why I want RAW, but I can not afford luxury of TBs of space, have only 2TB hard drive. Expected to shoot 4 hours of footage. So I need to save as much space as possible.

So I have this in my head, tell me if it's a good idea:

- Shoot RAW

- Import RAW files to Resolve, do basic correction and recover details, export as 2K ProRes 4444

- Import 2K ProRes into Premiere and do the final edit, export as ProRes 422

I'm worried about picture quality. Once I export out of Resolve 2K ProRes 4444 there will be not much I could do to change that file later. Any advice? Thanks.

Hiya Vadim,

Just to clarify, this is the original Blackmagic Cinema Camera and not the 4K or anything.

Secondly am I understanding right that you have enough media for the camera but you are worried about having enough space on your edit computer?

Freya

while this is not exactly easy nor perfectly convenient, it does work really well and doesn't use a ton of space. i just did the same workflow with my pocket camera. worked great.

http://dcinema.me/2015/01/cinemadng-premiere-offline-davinci-resolve-round-trip-workflow-mac/

i've also found that shooting proresHQ gets you 95% to 100% of what you have in RAW, so there's no harm in shooting that instead of RAW.

Hiya Vadim,

Just to clarify, this is the original Blackmagic Cinema Camera and not the 4K or anything.

Secondly am I understanding right that you have enough media for the camera but you are worried about having enough space on your edit computer?

Freya

Yessir, that's right.

while this is not exactly easy nor perfectly convenient, it does work really well and doesn't use a ton of space. i just did the same workflow with my pocket camera. worked great.

http://dcinema.me/2015/01/cinemadng-premiere-offline-davinci-resolve-round-trip-workflow-mac/

i've also found that shooting proresHQ gets you 95% to 100% of what you have in RAW, so there's no harm in shooting that instead of RAW.

Thanks I'll check it out.