Amir Mokri interview

• Premium Member

A very rare interview with Amir Mokri. In fact, I think it's the first one I've ever seen - and I've been a fan of his all the way back to Pacific Heights and Blue Steel. Never seen an AC article about him ever, despite all he's done. Slick, but a masterful cinematographer.

http://variety.com/2015/artisans/news/d-p-amir-mokri-fills-in-the-blanks-with-imagination-1201477816/

That's amazing! I remember not being able to do a MAN OF STEEL article because of his non-participation, and even though PIXELS was discussed for coverage, it was shot down because of his known reticence. It isn't like he's talking f stops and balloon lights here, but it is a start, anyway.

Reading this interview was like seeing Bigfoot. I was gonna post about it but you beat me to it.

About Takayanagi, he's given a few interviews (definitely more than Mokri, haha). I think some were with Kodak and Panavision.

I've emailed him a few questions over the years. He was always very nice and I appreciated him taking the time to reply.

Hopefully someone does a story on Black Mass.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

There's a scene in Lord Of War where Cage and Leto talk in this open air ruin. Mokri choses to negative fill/black the camera side and have them play as a silhouette, even though that could probably not happen for real in that location. But it looks great and creates contrast. Mokri has always been full of little slightly-pushing-the-reality tricks like that, which makes him very interesting.

Here's a terrible clip of that scene in pan and scan, but it was the only one I could find:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMX9RVx2idM