Matching C300 C Log with 5DMKIII?

Rod Lewis

Hi there

New user here, hoping to get some good advice.

I have spent about £8k so far on a short film, shot in a car, mostly from the bonnet on sucker mounts, here in the UK and using the Canon C300 with PL mount and Zeiss Superspeeds.

Whilst we have almost everything we need, we still have some pick ups (mostly wide, bonnet mounted shots, but one or two quick shots on the actors. I really, really didn't want to compromise on quality and continuity, but months down the line, this film really needs to get finished and money is tight, so I have therefore opted to shoot the remaining pick ups on my own 5D MKIII and hire a set of EF mount Zeiss Distagon f1.4 lenses.

My question is this: Does anyone have any advice as to how to best replicate the look of the C300(+Superspeeds)with the 5D MKIII (+Zeiss Distagon f1.4s)

I read that setting the 5D to Neutral and the saturation and contrast to -2 to -4 is a good starting point.

Any further words of wisdom? I'm aware of things like Magic Lantern but not sure how they work (I'm the Director, not the DOP, and I may have to shoot these bits myself). Also I am aware of the full frame/cropped sensor difference, (at least in terms of choosing the focal length)

A lot of the shots will be 35-50mm or so, mounted to the bonnet shooting forward, but with a few close ups probably on 50 or 85 from the bonnet into the car on the passenger seat.

Thanks in advance

Rod

• 2 weeks later...