Car sucker mount vibration?

Rod Lewis

All three mounting points should be as close to the edges of the bonnet as possible. That's the point where the metal is folded back

on itself and is the most rigid. One point nearest the windscreen, second point forward and nearest the left edge of the bonnet, the third point forward and

as close to the right edge of the bonnet as possible. The larger the triangle formed by the three points, the more stable

(within limits of the rigidity of the connecting arms/tubes) the camera will be.

Edited by JD Hartman

All three mounting points should be as close to the edges of the bonnet as possible. That's the point where the metal is folded back

on itself and is the most rigid. One point nearest the windscreen, second point forward and nearest the left edge of the bonnet, the third point forward and

as close to the right edge of the bonnet as possible. The larger the triangle formed by the three points, the more stable

(within limits of the rigidity of the connecting arms/tubes) the camera will be.

Ah yes I get you. That's so annoying that it's Sunday and there are no shops open to get materials. Dammit!

I have noticed that I could actually mount on to the bottom of the windscreen without obscuring my view at all. Perhaps a solution could be to mount the main one with camera to the bottom of the windscreen/shield, and then the other two either side and on the more stable part of the hood where it meets the windscreen? I wouldn't have any length to the sides of the triangle but the windscreen might be quite secure no?

Two point on the bonnet edge and one straight back onto the windscreen? Or the reverse? Should be more stable.

Awesome I can do this with what I have. Will let you know the results.

Thanks for your help.

Rod

I actually did it! Was even going 60mph at one point. No shake even on a 5D. It's obviously by no means perfect, and probably illegal, especially as I let air out of my tyres but the footage is amazingly smooth!

Here are a few pics. I know, it looks a hell of a mess!

Massive thanks to everyone who posted in this thread. I actually couldn't have done this without you!

(Didn't have an arm long enough to make a 'stool' with the sucker to the left of the main one but luckily two on the windscreen worked)

11024602_10206264493791780_1895927889661

11150795_10206264494431796_4603645388779

11051972_10206264494711803_6275059828604

11055300_10206264494911808_1350934014723