The Willis Frame

What great work - always good to be reminded of the genius known as Gordon Willis.

I noticed that in his anamorphic films he often used somewhat medium-long lenses. Do you know if he was fond of the 75mm/100mm anamorphic lenses? Everybody talks about how he liked to use the 40mm in spherical, but I never see people talking about the anamorphics.

• Premium Member

Lovely montage, thanks for sharing it David.

Manhattan is just achingly, achingly beautiful. That film alone taught me so much about the interplay of sound, image and performance - and why you don't have to have a shot of a clearly lit actor just to get some dialogue across. The sound will carry the performance, the performance will carry itself, and the camera is free to reveal more to us than just actors talking to each other (which in the end, I feel, makes for a more compelling final product).

And I disagree Phil, I think we're so much freer now to play around with things like silhouette precisely because guys like Willis blazed that trail for us.

• Premium Member

Great montage, appropriately titled. Willis always set a meaningful frame and let the action unfold in front of it - something I've been inspired by. His genius lay in the simplicity of his methods.

• Premium Member

A wonderful montage from a wonderful cinematographer. I've always noticed three specific motifs in his compositions:

1. Using a frame within a frame

2. Filming through windows

3. Silhouette

Thank you David for sharing.

G