This is so awesome - how was it done?

Often these effects are just achieved by moving the lights by various means. How you achieve it can depend on your budget, you can use boom arms or mount lights on sliders, since it's a one off event with brief effects you don't need to get too high tech.

• Premium Member

You can achieve something very similar to that in a really easy and cheap way.

1) Get a big cardboard.

2) Cut holes of different sizes and shapes (the bigger the holes the better, but it also helps to have a couple of smaller ones)

3) Put different gels on the holes and even mix them.

4) Place the cardboard in front of the light (play with the distance)

5) Move it

That's all.

I shot something quite similar to that (so similar that it is scary! Ha) a couple of years ago.

Our budget was very very tight, less than €500 so we got a BMP camera, 4 1K, 1 800W and we bought fluorescent tubes.

You can see the result here:

https://vimeo.com/124987628

Some day the director will get a 1.30 minutes cut (hopefully)

Have a good day!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but since it is on moving colorful lights and how it was done, I think I have to share one music video I found and watched last night. Very inspiring:

And here's the making of:

I notice her pupils are wide open. I know this isn't quite relevant but would it be safe to assume that these lights aren't very bright? Maybe gelled 650w?

I think they were careful with their lighting ratios so the talent would maintain those giant pupils.

Looks like the moving lights may have been achieved by a gelled cookie (probably a pretty big one I'd imagine) and then flags to block the spill.

I notice her pupils are wide open. I know this isn't quite relevant but would it be safe to assume that these lights aren't very bright? Maybe gelled 650w?

I think they were careful with their lighting ratios so the talent would maintain those giant pupils.

Looks like the moving lights may have been achieved by a gelled cookie (probably a pretty big one I'd imagine) and then flags to block the spill.

Maybe the HMU person dosed her eyes with belladonna. Some people will do anything to get the shot.

• Premium Member

Hi Miguel,

I like your film.

Can I ask what was your process for the strobing shots?

Hi Rob,

Sorry for the late reply, I didn't see it until now.

Those parts of the project are a reference to the work of Muybridge (http://www.wired.com/2009/06/dayintech_0615/), the director and myself are big fans of Muybridge's work and we thought that it would be cool to do something like that in the video.

We tested taking still photos and mix them together but the flow was not that good and the director ended up doing that effect in the editing process with normal footage from the BMP, I will ask him how he did it and will post it as soon as I know.

Have a good day.