Can anyone advise how the shot was done of the character Oak running full-bore up the side of the hill at the 'cliff' scene close to the start? That had great power to it. Was that a dolly (seems unlikely) or was it a vehicle with a steadicam on it? It was very smooth.

Edited by Jon O'Brien

I must admit, though, that opening title shot on the Cornish coastline in the original 1967 version was amazing - the really long pan. Especially with the soundtrack theme over the top of it. It's a terrific story for feature film widescreen cinematography because of the importance of big landscapes to the story. The story always manages to emphasize how we are all dependent on the land ... and the sky. Sigh.

I must admit, though, that opening title shot on the Cornish coastline in the original 1967 version was amazing - the really long pan. Especially with the soundtrack theme over the top of it. It's a terrific story for feature film widescreen cinematography because of the importance of big landscapes to the story. The story always manages to emphasize how we are all dependent on the land ... and the sky. Sigh.

This covers about all the cinematography questions asked at the time. A steadicam was used for Troy's sword/penis display in the woods, so it's entirely possible it was used for the kamikaze sheep.

https://britishcinematographer.co.uk/charlotte-bruus-christensen-far-from-the-madding-crowd/

Great article, thanks. Interesting to read what she says about art and how she feels about it, studying the great painters and so on. I suspected she'd have to be like that in her approach to this particular movie. Yes, hollow in the ferns was an interesting title Hardy chose for that scene.