The look of the early to mid 00's music videos

I've always wondered how the videos from the early to mid 2000's were made. I guess they were shot on 35mm but some of them look very videoish with the blown highlights, crushed shadows and extreme contrast and saturation. It's hard to see the texture since they're all in 480p on 4:3 format. Anyone has an idea?

Here is what I'm talking about:

Britney Spears - Toxic

https://youtu.be/LOZuxwVk7TU

Christina Aguilera - Can't hold us down

https://youtu.be/dg8QgUIKXHw

Beyoncé - Crazy in Love

https://youtu.be/ViwtNLUqkMY

• Premium Member

That Christine Aguilera video looks like it was inspired by "Do The Right Thing" -- looks like 35mm with a ton of lighting outdoors to make the colors pop, and color-corrected for a very saturated contrasty look.

The thing is that back then, most music videos were shot on film but did all sorts of funky things for a look, some made prints off of the negative and transferred that, some cross-processed reversal stock, some shot and transferred reversal stock straight (there's a small chance that this video could have been shot on Ektachrome 100D or Fuji Velvia reversal and processed normally by an E6 lab like Yale Labs, but the lack of E6 labs that could handle long rolls of movie film made this a rare technique -- most would cross-process the reversal into negative using a ECN-2 movie lab).

Some lower-budgeted videos were shooting on the Sony F900 and Panasonic Varicam back then, and some used those 35mm ground glass adaptors to use 35mm lenses and get shallower depth of field.

yea cinealtas or 35mm ...usually 35mm if they are bigger artists. and lots of light always, strong edges were a big thing too for sure.

lots of videos with maxies in the background flashing the lens on dimmers in frame and stuff in the early 2000's

Lolll thanks Robin.

Kenny, what about the extensive greenscreen work in Toxic? The motorcycle scene, the laser room backflip, the wall climbing. Are you saying the keying was done on sd resolution?

Hey guys, my first post, I had stumbled upon this forum a couple times but have only read older threads, and have seen Mr David Mullen post some gems before. Seeing the ASC behind his name also sparked my curiosity for what it represented and I have to say I am humbled to be able to learn from someone so highly regarded!

Anyways, seeing that he is still active in the forums, I had to join in!

Thanks for teaching the new generation and sticking around!

Off to do some more snooping~~

Lolll thanks Robin.

Kenny, what about the extensive greenscreen work in Toxic? The motorcycle scene, the laser room backflip, the wall climbing. Are you saying the keying was done on sd resolution?

I really couldn't tell you about the specifics of that video, but I'm mostly talking about the "video"ish look you're chasing down. My bed is that a lot of those were transferred on a flying spot telecine, with a look baked into it at that time.

Hey guys, my first post, I had stumbled upon this forum a couple times but have only read older threads, and have seen Mr David Mullen post some gems before. Seeing the ASC behind his name also sparked my curiosity for what it represented and I have to say I am humbled to be able to learn from someone so highly regarded!

Anyways, seeing that he is still active in the forums, I had to join in!

Thanks for teaching the new generation and sticking around!

Off to do some more snooping~~

David is awesome yes! His insight is always useful.