Kowa Anamorphic Primes on Super 16mm

As the title suggests, Kowa Anamorphic Primes on Super 16mm (specifically the SR3). Has anybody done it before? I'm diving into my first 16mm project and researching the crap out of the look that we might possibly have.

We've watched hours of videos of Kowas on digital, and different anamorphics on S16, but wondering more specifically if anybody has shot with Kowa primes on Super 16, we're looking at mostly just using the 40mm.

We are keen to do some tests but due to budget and a tonne of logistics it is quite limiting to try and do.

Thanks in advance.

• Premium Member

I think one of the main problems you'll find is that the normal Kowa lens set of 40,50,75,100 is pretty lacking on the wide angle side. Even on a 3-perf Super 35 sized sensor like the Canon C300 the 40mm is not that wide, especially after cropping the image back from 3.56:1 (1.78x2) to 2.39:1. There is a wide angle attachment for the 40mm that gives it a 30mm field of view but it's not very common. On S16, 40mm would be very telephoto.

I think one of the main problems you'll find is that the normal Kowa lens set of 40,50,75,100 is pretty lacking on the wide angle side. Even on a 3-perf Super 35 sized sensor like the Canon C300 the 40mm is not that wide, especially after cropping the image back from 3.56:1 (1.78x2) to 2.39:1. There is a wide angle attachment for the 40mm that gives it a 30mm field of view but it's not very common. On S16, 40mm would be very telephoto.

From what I've read and understood, due to the wide-ness of the anamorphic on a S16 sensor it would have a similar crop to 40-50mm on a full frame? Does that sound correct?

• Premium Member

Just remember that Super16 is 1.66:1 and you'll only be using 1.19:1 of that (so less than Normal 16) if you want to end up with 2.39:1. 40mm on N16 is like 80mm on Academy 35mm and 95mm on 3-Perf Super 35.

Sure, there's more width because of the 2x anamorphic squeeze, but with the 40mm Ana on Super16 you'd be getting the same field of view as a 100mm Ana on a Red Epic/C300/Sony F55. I would call that telephoto.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I don't know about a similar look, but how about Hawk V-Lite 16's? 1.3x only I believe but made for the Super16 format. I think they mainly rent through Keslow Camera in the U.S. You could always use Low Con filters or other diffusion for a softer look.