Autofocus camera for a moving sequence shot

simon koba

Hello,

For a short fiction, I will shoot a sequence shot: a scene where two people talk while playing pool in a dark pool center (by day, we'll get some sunlight through the windows).
Probably with a stabiliser like the DJI Ronin or Easy Rig.

Since I wish not to use too much lighting, I'm leaning towards 2,5 K or 4K ≥10-bit RAW, with or without an external recorder.

Since I would be often moving randomly so I'm looking for continuous autofocus.

Which cameras combine all those requirements?

Thank you for your help!

Simon

• Premium Member

The only challenge with auto focus is that you still need to control it to an extent. Otherwise, it will snap to areas in the frame that you may not want to be in focus. Auto focus does not have the ability to make choices. You can always hire a good focus puller named Otto!

G

• Premium Member

Is it possible to combine auto and manual focus??

Anything is possible. But I don't believe that you will be able to seemlessly switch between manual and auto during a take without seeing it. Maybe I'm wrong. Ironically, I'm testing a beautiful new piece of technology that does just that! It's a focus aid called the Preston Light Ranger 2 by Preston Cinema Systems and it allows a focus puller to switch from manual focus to auto focus in a blink via the Preston FIZ. But it must have a technician operating it. It's not on the market yet but for extreme focus pulling, it could be a game changer.

G

http://www.fdtimes.com/2014/05/27/preston-light-ranger-2/