sharpening bmpcc footage for theater?

Marc-Andr

Hello all,

I wanted to know if it was a good idea to slightly sharpen the bmpcc footage in resolve for theater projection at film festivals or if it's better to keep the footage unsharpened. I find that when I apply a very small radius light sharpening it makes my images a lot better but would it look good too in a cinema or would it make it look too digital or draw attention to the pixels?

• Premium Member

I've seen my un-sharpened BMPCC stuff on DCP in a theater and it looked great right out of DaVinci Resolve. If you do the proper DCP workflow, it will look a lot better then the REC709 encodes you're probably use to.

Thank you! What do you mean by Rec709 encode? What I do is I use the film log space and I grade it all manually. I don't use the horrendous bmpcc film to rec709 LUT in resolve.

• Premium Member

The moment you export a quicktime file for viewing purposes out of DaVinci, you've agreed to conform to REC709. Sure, within DaVinci, it looks wonderful but if your previous reference for quality is based on watching something on your computer, it's gonna look entirely different as a DCP in the theater.

I'd say if you like the added sharpening, go for it!

It would be best to make a test of different levels of sharpening and scale for DCP and view in a proper DI theater to be sure of the level you like best.