Hey everyone,

I'm trying to re-create this still from King of the Hill as a learning exercise. I attached it below.

It seems fairly straight forward but I can't seem to get the key to look right. I used a charlie bar and two Dedo 150's for the background and that looked ok but the eyelight kick and the key i'm struggling with.

Thoughts? Diagrams?

Thanks so much!

post-67889-0-25053900-1433652763_thumb.jpg

• Premium Member

There is no separate eyelight, the key light is being reflected in his eyes, which is easier when shooting a young face with big eyes and a round face without deep eye sockets. Judging by the size of the reflection, it's neither a point source or a large soft light, so probably something in-between like a paper lantern.

There is no separate eyelight, the key light is being reflected in his eyes, which is easier when shooting a young face with big eyes and a round face without deep eye sockets. Judging by the size of the reflection, it's neither a point source or a large soft light, so probably something in-between like a paper lantern.

Thanks so much! That makes a lot of sense.

I tried it with a paper lantern and it worked very well. Now just to shape it a bit more and get the shadows looking correct...