120 Medium Format Film in LA?

Hi everyone, been a while since I've been on here, hope you're all good.

I'm visiting LA on the 17th June, in town a few days and then touring round east and then looping back up to San Francisco.

Plan to take a fair few medium format photos, but don't want to take film through those X-ray machines. Anyone recomend a good affordable retailer of 120 film in LA?

Also I may try and get the bulk of my processing done in San Francisco, again to avoid the x-ray machines, does anyone know a good lab in San Fran that has a quick turn around?

Also up for meeting up with people for beer or coffee if anyone's about?

Thanks for your time,

All best wishes,

Andy

• Premium Member

Hey Andy, good to see you back on the forum! Hit me up when you get to SF, will send you a PM.

For film in LA, I have had recommendations for Freestyle Photo by one of salesmen at Samy's Camera: http://www.freestylephoto.biz

They are on Sunset Blvd, east of the 101. Have not been there yet myself.

For lab work in In SF:

Light Waves Imaging: http://www.lightwavesimaging.com

Photoworks: http://www.photoworkssf.com

Light Waves are open weekdays and until 2p on Saturdays. They are my go to lab. Located in the South of Market neighborhood. The area is slightly sketchy due to it's proximity to 6th Street, which is junkie central between Market and Folsom St. If you avoid that three block strip, you'll be fine. Light Waves will usually do same day if you get the film in before noon. They also sell 120 film and do B&W. There is a custom B&W lab called Gamma Photo upstairs where you can specify developers but they are slow.

I have heard great things about Photoworks from friends that I trust, but haven't tried them out yet. They are open 7 days a week and are located in the Inner Mission District and adjacent to the Castro and Lower Haight, so it's safe and lots of cool stuff to see but much harder to find parking. Don't know about their turnaround times.

Realistically though, if this is going to be a hassle then I would just buy a lead-lined film pouch like the Domke Film Guard Bags to travel with. I have put exposed 500T (Cinestill) through 4 consecutive carry-on XRay scanners in the bag before processing without issue. I would worry only if you're shooting Ilford 3200 or similarly high sensitivity stock.

Samy's Camera on Fairfax in Hollywood sell 120 roll film in a range of color and B&W. They also have a minilab there if you need to get processing done while you're in town. Freestyle Photo on Sunset are also good, and you may find some unusual stocks there, as they tend to cater to the serious film photographer rather than the digital crowd.

• 2 weeks later...

Samy's Camera on Fairfax in Hollywood sell 120 roll film in a range of color and B&W. They also have a minilab there if you need to get processing done while you're in town. Freestyle Photo on Sunset are also good, and you may find some unusual stocks there, as they tend to cater to the serious film photographer rather than the digital crowd.

Hi Stuart, thanks so much. Are you in LA right now?