Have to admit I'm interested in how this is coming along, even though I'm not a Star Wars fan.

Greig Fraser is supposed to shoot this with the 1.25x Ultra Panavision 70 anamorphics rebuilt for The Hateful Eight. He's also shooting on film, and the Alexa 65.

So are the lenses being used on 65mm, or on the Alexa 65? Will the ratio be 2.75:1? Is he shooting anything on 35 (like Episode 8 is)?

Anybody heard more about it?

• Premium Member

OK, just reported… Rogue One shooting digitally. Whilst the other three films will be 35mm with intermixed 65mm for certain IMAX scenes. I gather too many logistical issues with shooting 65mm in the UK and having to deal with lab's.

Dang… I was really hoping they'd go for it. Good news is, the Alexa 65 looks great! :)

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/star-wars-rogue-one-eyes-65mm-digital-shoot-episode-viii-sticking-with-35mm-film/

I was actually surprised to hear that Rogue One was going to shoot film as Gareth Edwards is about the most digital guy going in every way. He has built his career on it. It's not a surprise to me to hear that it might be just shot on the Alexa 65 instead.

However given that the Hollywood Reporter states that Rogue One are using film as well as the Alexa 65 and the Rope of Silicon guy seems really confused about formats perhaps it's possible it's still partly shot on film.

Freya

Edited by Freya Black

• Premium Member

There are two different films being discussed, the new 3 movie franchise of which the next two installments will be shot on 35mm by Gareth Edwards and the one-off splinter film helmed by Greig Fraser. This thread is about the one-off splinter film called "Rogue One". It appears Fraser wants to use 2.76:1 aspect ratio and the logistics of shooting 65mm in the UK are probably a bit much. So they're going to stick with the Alexa 65.

Now I'm more confused than ever...

Rogue One is directed by Gareth Edwards, and shot by Fraser.

Episodes 8 and 9 are directed by Rian Johnson. Steve Yedlin is definitely shooting 8, and will presumably shoot 9 too.

• 1 year later...

Saw Rogue One last Thursday. It looked ok, but most of the movie it was too dark. I'm going again to see it in the IMAX theater today, but I'm not expecting much of an improvement. I'm happy Star Wars 9 will be entirely shot on Super Panavision 70. I always wanted to see a Star Wars movie in true 70mm.