Dropped my Krasnogorsk K-3

James Gordon

My stupid strap connected to the camera slipped and my K-3 fell from thigh height down onto concrete sidewalk.

I had it modified to Ultra 16, and there were lines in the viewfinder, given by the technician.

When i looked through the viewfinder, the lines were all tilted, the image was way off center. Not good. But the lens focuses normally, the light comes though fine. Everything else appeared normal. Just the appearance had been shifted. I sent it off for possible repair...but i'm wondering if anyone can tell me based on my description if there is any hope for this camera.

• Premium Member

If you're lucky, only the viewfinding system was damaged, but only the technicians at the repair shop will be able to fully diagnose it. You should always have your camera is some sort of protective case. And when it's out, always hand-carry it. Never rely on straps or anything or the sort. You might want to invest in a good hard-shelled case like a Pelican.

Hope it comes back okay.

just buy a new one and swap the gates - they are cheap!

You don't view through the gate. It's the finder optics that are out of whack. Presumably the camera is otherwise OK so it's the devil he knows.

A replacement would be an unknown quantity.

Edited by Mark Dunn

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, i sent it off for repair. it was only the viewfinder that was screwed up.

A little backstory, is that I had it converted to Ultra 16mm by the same technician. He put some lines in the viewfinder to approximate what is being exposed.

So when he repaired it, he put some new lines in which are now slightly, yet noticeably skewed. Instead of two straight horizontal lines, it is now two slanting lines within the viewfinder. He said he worked like crazy, but it was the best he could do. I believe him and everything...but man is it frustrating. And distracting. And it wasn't cheap to fix. About the same price for having it converted to Ultra.

Not sure why i'm sharing this, but I'm just pretty deflated. Although in the end, i am still able to get normal images...just with a very distracting and irritating viewing system that once worked just fine. I feel like a jerk for dropping it.

Edited by James Gordon