Lighting tight spaces

What's the scene about? What feeling are you hoping to get across?

Right now it feels like a cold night. If this is the first time we're seeing this set, the audience may be interested in what's tacked up on the wall behind the child. You could reduce your contrast ratio to show more information on the wall, but that could also digress from the feeling of a cold night. It really depends on the two questions above.

Nonetheless, it actually looks good!

Thank you AJ Young. This is like the first shot of the shortfilm. I want the audience to learn that she (the character) is obsessed with aliens. The feeling I want to the viewer to come across is dark (like a cold night) but also surreal at the same time.

Thank you Jd.

A camera pullback and a bird's eye shot
Yes, you can tell that I try to make the alien obsession thing really obvious. The problem for me is the lighting. I want to add some surrealism to the lighting (but keeping the cold night feeling).and also seperate the character from the background. : )

Edited by Jojo Low

• Premium Member

It's a bit harder to create separation with lighting in an overhead shot since the background is the floor, but the general ways are either to use an edge or backlight, or to frame a dark edge against something bright or a bright edge against something dark, or to use color to create separation. So if you have a dark head, you can either create a glow or pool of light behind the head to create separation, or put a back or edge light on the head.