Stuff buddies and i built

Alex Haspel

hi everyone...

i am suprised that my account is still active, it has been years since i last posted here since my worklife shifted from DPing small corporate stuff to G&E'ing / Bestboying / Gaffing bigger stuff over the last couple of years....

Anyways, 2 of my buddies and i built some stuff over the years to make our worklives easier so i thought i might just share some of it.

First off, the Setscooter 3000....

As we are currently shooting a TV series that involves tons of urban on location shooting where the truck sometimes has to park a littler further away and as i am not getting any younger i bought a litte electric scooter and did some welding:

image_zpsl38x8jak.jpg

image_zpshamqiexh.jpg

image_zpsr6bxnzxn.jpg

and since we are currently shooting a cop series it also received a light and police paint:

image_zpsnykikttz.jpg

the setscooter can easily carry a m18, ballast some cables, and stands at once:

11351152_243908942446375_598291695670444

at first even i thought it was just a funny little gimmick but it has proven to be really enormously practical and really sped us up on urban locations where the parking situation isnt always optimal.

we also used it to simulate car lights passing by:

10252176_246918508812085_800292749475594

• Upvote 1

another thing we built for a previous season of the same series is the "inspekta reflekta 3000" ...

when simulating police car emergency lights but with more output one used to do this with bouncing big lights gelled blue into manually rotated mirrors...

but since this needed one man cranking each mirror we built motorized rotating mirrors:

Untitled-4_zpsztnceyak.jpg

speed can of course be adjusted and direction can be switched:

Untitled-1_zpsoygcwyiz.jpg

• Upvote 1

our biggest build so far is the "quick attack set cart 3000"

being fed up with bulky and heavy set carts that dont fit into small locations we decided to built a light little aluminium cart with a width of under 80cm so that it fits through every standard door and into most elevators.

this is still being built, but here are couple of pictures....

cad plans in the foreground, wooden dummy in the background:

11204985_231645030339433_373242334460756

current state:

11707496_250163675154235_437131601121710

..it will hold only a very basic amount of equipment in order to stay small and nimble but feature a couple of nifty features like a lockable drawer for valuables like exposure meters, a little built in battery for usb charging stuff and its own led-worklights, a little 800g self-retracting 6meter built in cable drum for charging its battery and various other little details that we missed in existing set carts ....

Steady Phil, only on set, they're very probably not legal here alas- motorised so can't go on the pavement, and can't meet the regulations for road use. Too bad.

around here they are road legal without any paperwork / license plates when they are limited to 10km/h, because they then somehow count as bycicles.

i heeeeeeaaaaaaard however from a friend of a friend of a friend that it miiiiiiiiiiiiight be possible to very easily deactivate that limiter. :)

Edited by Alex Haspel