Mr. Robot

• 1 month later...

I just started this show. I'm 3 episodes in and I already know to watch for how the title is going to pop up. The camera angles and placement in this show is breathtaking. Now I just have to get back to binge watching the season.

Since I just lost Hannibal, this is going to be my new show to watch and really enjoy the cinematography.

He [sam Esmail] did this in his earlier movie "Comet", this placement etc.

Although it is "interesting" it bothers me as a cinematographer when stylistic choices are made without the script calling for it.

I don't see why this kind of framing is justified by the script/story.

Would love to hear your thoughts on it. Really well made show none the less.

Lots of use of practical only lighting , any idea what camera this show was shot on ?

I love a lot of interesting placement, like behind a book case. or between the building supports and the window at the beginning of episode 2 when the business guy looks out. I need to continue the show to look at more of it's visual style. I feel that it's interesting while not distracting. I doesn't feel overly superfluous

Edited by Darrell Ayer

I've just started looking at this show. Great idea, great central character and I really like the use of internal monologue.

Reguarding the common screen language that is often ignored. Is there a logical function that explains when and why the negative space is flipped when two people talk as singles. IE Speaker is screen right and talking to someone out of frame, screen right.

I haven't been carefully scrutinizing this, to see if it is consistent. But I just noticed a scene where Elliot has a moment with the black goldfish. He's placed screen right, looking screen left towards the fish.

So many interesting layes and things. Black goldfish? They never called it that. But that's the way it played in my head.

The odd look room is consistent throughout.

I think it's used as a tool to reinforce his psychological issues.

The reveal of who he is speaking to is sometimes surprising as you are lead to believe it is one character then surprised to see it's not who you expected.

The odd look room is consistent throughout.

I think it's used as a tool to reinforce his psychological issues.

The reveal of who he is speaking to is sometimes surprising as you are lead to believe it is one character then surprised to see it's not who you expected.

Kenyon why is that look room maintained when he is not on screen, its use almost all the time.

Watching Mr Robot E10.

I think the weak part of this show is Mr Robot himself, Christian Slater's character, the father. The name, the sense of being far too literal, explicit, explanatory.

And no one has dared try to explain the shift in screen language that this show may signal. Or is it just a momentary aberation, a provocation to chaos, rather than a sign of something new, a new principal.

And why isn't chaos a new principal? Because it degrades so quickly to something that is orderly, with it's own functional laws, even if they are ugly and not useful.