Highlight Clipping @ FS7 at 800ISO

Philipp Kunzli

Hey Everybody

Once more I'm sharing some test results with you... This time the Sony FS7

Having a closer Look at the results something strange occurred to me.

If one pays attention at the waveform comparing 800 to 1250 ISO

(at the proper Exposure) you see that at 800ISO there happens some heavy

clipping. At the exact same setup at 1250 there is a much nicer roll off...

Under the following link you find the whole test.

(Every Setup as a whole site and as 100% detail)

- Different ISO

- Under- & Exposure

- Underexposure and Bringing it back up in Post

http://frameworks.ch/Sony_FS7_Test_2.pdf

(it may take a few moments since it's 100MB...)

Looking forward to your thoughts....

Greetings from Cologne

Philipp

post-38795-0-48010500-1436899691_thumb.jpg

post-38795-0-78094200-1436899703_thumb.jpg

Edited by Philipp Kunzli

• Premium Member

Changing the ISO of a camera redistributes the highlights-v- lowlight dynamic range. In this, and many cases, I would suspect that upping the ISO actually decreases DNR in the shadows while increasing it in the highlights. I believe this was a discovery of the Red One (either M or MX) a long while ago. For myself, I do not re-rate cameras away from their "standard" ISO in digital-- unless I've done a camera test to see where things fall or i'm really really in a bind.

I believe the native iSO is 2000.. this is the number that Sony have come up with to give the max 14 stop DR of the sensor.. a play off between noise and DR.. as seen acceptable by Sony..

You have shot in Cine EI.. (a good idea ! get away from Sony 709 colour space ).. so your recorded footage will stay at ISO 2000 at all times anyway.. .... many people are rating the camera at 800 .. so over exposing their actual recording,once you have opened the iris to account for it.. .. and losing some high light into the bargain ..although there is 6 stops or more anyway over grey.. to "print down" to get less noise.. your basically shifting the grey level up or down.. like re rating film stock..

.. so your recorded footage will stay at ISO 2000 at all times anyway...

If you just use it "the preset way". One is able to change it if you set the menu point "SDI1 & Internal Record" to "Record LUT" and afterwards set the LUT (even though it's not really a LUT) back to "Cine EI S-Gamut3/SLog3".

Now you can set the ISO even you are in Cine EI

But then you are defeating the object of shooting Cine EI.. which is to keep maximum DR by shooting at 2000 ISO.. you can change the ISO in Cine EI.. but you have to correct it in post.. while maintaining 14 stop DR..

Not sure of the logic of shooting Slog with an slog LUT recorded internally .. :)

Not sure of the logic of shooting Slog with an slog LUT recorded internally ...

Neither am I !

But fact is, if you have a close Look at the test results (link…) you see that at Cine EI 2000 ISO the the noise in the black becomes very strong. So heavy, that even adding a 701 LUT to the S-Log File, that "crashes the blacks", the result is definitely not what I call a clean Image.

Testfile => 2000 ISO => page 35 & 36 / capter 1c

http://frameworks.ch..._FS7_Test_2.pdf

Edited by Philipp Kunzli

Yes true enough.. it seems better to rate this camera at 800 ISO Cine EI or so.. lose a bit of head room .. and drag down for better SNR.. and a lot of people seem to be doing this now.. the FS7 doesn't have it yet.. but I shoot Cine EI with NR low on...Slog3 / S gamut 3.cine..

Although that is another can of worms.. if better in post or not..

But also I don't think big drama/commercials,footage for projection, are going to be shot on FS7 or even F5.. it would be very least F55 and more likely F65.. its a $8,000 camera after all.. 1/3 of the price a top end ENG zoom lens a few years ago..