Labs in Ireland?

Perhaps this belongs in the Students sub-forum, but...

I will be starting graduate school in Galway this fall, and I am hoping that I can get at least one project shot on film. Could anyone tell me what the best options are for processing and transferring film in Ireland?

Hey Brian,

What about that artist's collective that had a co-operative B&W lab in Ireland. I don't know what the quality is like, but the quality has to be related to what's required for the film.

I looked for my reference to them and couldn't find it.

Edited by Gregg MacPherson

• Premium Member

I will be starting graduate school in Galway this fall, and I am hoping that I can get at least one project shot on film. Could anyone tell me what the best options are for processing and transferring film in Ireland?

Miguel Angel would be the person to ask since he's been studying at the National Film School in Ireland. I would send him a PM.

• Premium Member

Hi William,

Sadly there are no film labs in Ireland.

The labs I have used in the past for processing film have been either in London or in Spain and as there are none in Spain any longer the best option is London, unless you want to send them to the States.

One of the best labs in London is Cinelab (http://www.cinelab.co.uk), they are very very good (I have worked with them twice and I was extremely satisfied) and they keep you up to date with all the processes.

They will ask you if you want the film scanned and if so where you want it to be transferred to, either a hard - drive that you can provide or via ftp.

If you plan on grading your film then you might want to contact either Screenscene or Windmill Lane as Brian suggested.

I personally like Windmill Lane but many others love Screenscene the most, at the end of the day it depends on the grading artist and the cinematographer / director combo! :)

Of course, if you need a hand at any stage, William, let me know! I would be more than happy to help you! :)

By the way, thanks Bill! :)

Have a lovely day.

Sadly there are no film labs in Ireland.

Hey Miguel,

The lab I was thinking of was an artists collective (B&W). If the unfamous David Lynch was shooting Erazerhead this kind of lab might be appropriate. For a normal TV commercial or feature, no.

I may be confused with an artists collective in London. I will keep looking.

• Premium Member

Gregg, as far as I know there have been no labs (even amateur) in Ireland for the five years I have been living here.

Maybe you could be thinking about the Irish Experimental Film society or the Experimental Film Club?

There was a "students" lab in Camden Palace (which was a co - operative) in Cork, it was for still photography tho and the center is closed down now.

However, if you get to remember something else about that B&W amateur lab let me know! I would be more than happy to send them loads of things

Have a lovely day!

William,

There is a place in London called no.w.here . They sell filmstock and offer classes on how to run an optical printer. They used to process B&W 16mm film onsite, but have stopped. It is now offered at www.filminprocess.com . Beau Haut and Karel Doing offer processing and printing at The University of East London within Fine Arts Departments' 16mm facility.

• Upvote 1

Hey William,

What sort of film are your students likely to make?

Are they on their ascent to hollywood? Or are they Chis Marker incarnate? Do they need a clean industry lab or do they need a rough co-op lab run by artists?

Can they cope with a delay for their daileys? Then send them anywhere, if the shipping is secure. There are cheap rates in the USA, India, maybe singapore, once you look.

Hey William,

What sort of film are your students likely to make?

Are they on their ascent to hollywood? Or are they Chis Marker incarnate? Do they need a clean industry lab or do they need a rough co-op lab run by artists?

Can they cope with a delay for their daileys? Then send them anywhere, if the shipping is secure. There are cheap rates in the USA, India, maybe singapore, once you look.

To clarify - I am one of the students, not an instructor.

And I can't speak for any of my peers, but I'm pursuing this more as an interest and passion than a career at the moment, and I like a clean but old-fashioned look. What sort of timeframe I have to cope with, I'll know better when we get further into the school year.