Logmar, Nikon R10, Leicina Special owners in the NY area?

Matt Stevens

Gents, as I announced a couple weeks back, I am working on a big dream project (big for me) and want to shoot on Super8. Of course, I sold all my cameras and equipment not long ago because I thought I was OUT for good. Whoops. :(

Right now I am wondering if anyone near NYC has the new Logmar camera (plus a good lens) or perhaps the Leicina Special (plus a good lens) or even a tip top Nikon R10?

I would love to work something out for use of any of the above cameras or perhaps a Logmar or Leicina owner wants to collaborate on a feature?

I was going to be working with someone on this but his schedule just grew complicated and so I am kind of scrambling here.

eBay was chock full of Nikon R10's all year and all went dirt cheap ($225 to $325). Naturally there is now NOTHING! I have been checking daily for two weeks.

Anyway, you can email me at matt@1783pictures.com

Thanks!

The one guy close to us who has a Logmar has it for sale :(

However a member of this fine forum has PM'd me about his Leicina Special so we might be able to work something out. It would be spectacular to use it for all the slow and fast-motion photography.

We are still hoping to have use of a crystal synced Super8 camera for our dialog scenes. Duall in NYC used to have a Canon 1014 XL-S that was CS but it's no longer listed. They have a CS'd 814 but the optics onthat are just too damn soft.

I have never been comfortable with the Beaulieus but they do have a CS'd 7008S for rent. Not really sure if I want to go that route.

All that being said crystal sync is not absolutely necessary. We'd head and tail slate and just have to spend more time keeping the sound in sync throughout. It's a bitch, but I have done it before.

Interesting. Would that happened be a Logmar Beta camera? Beaulieu 6008/7008 form factor is very comfortable to hold for long periods of time. Good luck.

The one guy close to us who has a Logmar has it for sale :(

Matt , There must be some kind of budget for this Film ? Why not get in touch with Logmar and see if there will loan or rent a Camera too you ?

worth a shot / you can but ASK . Still it's a Shot ? Tell them about the film / why it would be good to use there Camera ! email them .

US supply of Logmar goes through Pro8mm.

Why would a camera manufacturer lend out cameras

and thus shooting their own foot or those of their retailers?

The idea is that filmers pay for using their products.

Years ago I had a collegea who thought he would get free film from Kodak to photograph his safari trips. And then do some promotion. Of course he didn't get a single frame of film. Kodak used to live off people who photograph while travelling :)

Edited by Andries Molenaar

Excuse me, Mr. Know It All. I am not asking for the camera to be lent out by Pro8 (who can suck my balls because they are crooks) or the fine folks at Logmar (who are wonderful). We would GLADLY rent. But no one has it to rent.

By the way, one VERY exceptional member here has offered the use of his Leicina Special. To that gent, I say YOU ARE THE MAN!

No need to get upset.

I clicked the quote button on the christopher post but the quote wasn't imported into my post.

Just I did now on your Matt post.

The edit screen of the forum seems to need some repairs too. Cut and paste doesn't work and the cursor movement is vague too.

Edited by Andries Molenaar

I think the Logmar is still technically in beta testing at the moment. I'm on the beta program and there hasn't been any indication yet that the beta phase is compete. But that said, as far as I can tell, the camera is production ready. I'll eventually be renting the camera out, but not just yet. I still have a few tests I need to do relating to how film shot on the camera will be printed (to 16mm) and otherwise scanned - basically relating to exploitation of the pin registration. Current transfer setups are not yet fully exploiting the pin-registration.

Carl

Edited by Carl Looper

I asked but he did not say. I am sure he has his reasons. But what I would give to shoot with that bad boy.

@looper. Then didn't the eBay seller get his beta-camera at half price? He will thus be making a profit of $2500 should he manage to sell.

And can he sell it while the program is still on? It seems past ethics to me and must be past contract rules too.

The all knowing one has made apost on his assumption without knowing the ebay seller facts to Why ?

Clearly you fail on English and Logic.

As you are the All knowing one in Logic as well "you must be right in what you say and do"

And we poor filmmakers do not see the light ,

Then on top why this man is selling his nice new camera on Ebay . Yes your Assumption must be right ,

Are you going to tell Logmar ?

@looper. Then didn't the eBay seller get his beta-camera at half price? He will thus be making a profit of $2500 should he manage to sell.

And can he sell it while the program is still on? It seems past ethics to me and must be past contract rules too.

Nope, all in all I'm about $4300 with lens(es) & Collimation fees so it's at an optimistic $4500 because of ebay/paypal fees. Honestly I've considered some lower offers on it though. Both Pro8 & Logmar know that I'm selling it and even gave them a heads up, not breaking any contract rules.

tl:dr - ebay seller isn't making a profit, everyone is cool with it.

As you are the All knowing one in Logic as well "you must be right in what you say and do"

And we poor filmmakers do not see the light ,

Then on top why this man is selling his nice new camera on Ebay . Yes your Assumption must be right ,

Are you going to tell Logmar ?

Nope, all in all I'm about $4300 with lens(es) & Collimation fees so it's at an optimistic $4500 because of ebay/paypal fees. Honestly I've considered some lower offers on it though. Both Pro8 & Logmar know that I'm selling it and even gave them a heads up, not breaking any contract rules.

tl:dr - ebay seller isn't making a profit, everyone is cool with it.

Mr Andries Molenaar the industry rep / the all know one in His assumptions ' I take it you not man enough to say I am sorry ? I was wrong .

I live in Brooklyn and I have a great R8 that I would sell for $200.00. Otherwise I would be willing to rent you a Pro8mm 'Classic Pro' with max 8 mod. I got it at the start of the summer. We could work out rental rates and other things. It's not CS though... It has the 8-64/1.9 and I have one lithium cell.

I'm all set at this point. I am working out a deal with Duall for their entire kit. I have my Nikon R10 and quite possibly a Leicina Special on lone (which would excite me more than anything else). Thanks to all.

And no more fighting. It's boring.

Joel has cleared this up quite well.

I only mention the beta program because one may not necessarily want to commit just yet to using the beta camera in a production capacity.

It's certainly production ready but you'd want to be up to speed on best practice using the camera. Until the beta program is complete, public discussion around best practice will tend to be somewhat limited, or even incorrect. The current documentation is still in mid-draft stage and you'd ideally want the final draft.

Currently the only proper way to get up to speed on correct best practice is to join the beta program, and get into the live inside discussion on such.

C

Edited by Carl Looper

I'm all set at this point. I am working out a deal with Duall for their entire kit. I have my Nikon R10 and quite possibly a Leicina Special on lone (which would excite me more than anything else). Thanks to all.

And no more fighting. It's boring.

Well done Matt , happy it's all working out . The Leicina special is my fave super8 camera and she is special , And good luck .