Feed back on my first serious film.

Cameron Rains

Hi everybody this is my first time on this website and I thought I would share my first serious beginner film that I put together (sorry for the bad grammar). This was filmed in Tempe Arizona for my company Pointblankperformance, all shot on the Nikon D3100! I filmed with the Glide Gear 23inch slider, ePhotoInc Mini Jib, Polaroid Chest Stabilizer, cheap tripod, Ravelli ATD tripod dolly and the Nikon 50mm f/1.8D lens. There were some slight trouble with the editing software (Adobe After Effects) but I thought it came together alright for a small budget film. I would your guy's feedback for my video! It can be anything, seriously I'm new and I want to learn more! Thanks!

• Premium Member

Welcome to the forum!

I would have liked it to be narrated, seeing a bunch of car shots isn't that interesting unfortunately. I do marketing work like this all the time and getting a "professional" looking image/feel is important, but telling people something about what you do, is even more important.

Here is an example of what I mean. It shows off the product, but it also tells a story.

• Upvote 1

It was nice and dreamy until 1:06, the goose neck trailer loomed its horrid head. :(

There was much jello-ing in the extreme closeup shots. You can mitigate the jello-ing with good tripod, beanbag in tight spaces, or just avoid using the long telephoto and push in close with medium or wide lens.

As for mise-en-scene, you picked some great angles with shallow depth of field and racking focus, but money shot can be ruined by extraneous equipment like the trailer.

Great effort for a first start. Much kudos!

Edited by Larry DeGala