cinematography essay. what to focus on?

David Gray

hi, ive signed up to find out some information on cinematography.

Im very interested in film, and i study multimedia and television production at uni.

Ive recently been asked to write an essay, and i chose cinematography.

only problem is im limited to 5000 words, so i can cover the last 120 years in that amount of time.

So if anyone could help me out, what would be an interesting topic to focus on and discuss?

any help would be much appreciated.

thanks

David

that was the direction i was thinking of taking, but my lecturer seems to think its still to big a subject, unless i can refine it down more.

would you know of any sources where i could search more on the subject? really need some books that has solid info on the topic. not sure if this is to new an issue?

keep on coming with the ideas :D

thanks

completely over my head sorry, really in depth stuff :unsure:

are there any websites with discussions on digital versus film discussions?

or books on this subject. i need some in depth discussion from people that are acknowledgeable (spelling?) if you know what i mean?

• 2 weeks later...

Walter Murch's book In the Blink of an Eye has a very in depth but easy to understand debate of Digital vs Analog film edting. Slightly different topic but it may prove useful . A book you should definately read if you're interested in film anyway :)

• 2 weeks later...
that was the direction i was thinking of taking, but my lecturer seems to think its still to big a subject, unless i can refine it down more.

I joined this discussion late so I may be out of your loop.Anyway, if you're going for basics,you could stick with visual language.How film has a grammer and syntax much like the printed word.I worked in corporate multi media and the clients I dealt with were so print minded and literal interpretation oriented every video they wanted me to do was more or less a talking head reading of a text book,or might as well have been.You might focus on how film,video,TV works in a diametrically opposed mechanic than print.That is print stimulates the emotions by going through the intellect.Film and TV go through the emotions (right brain)to get to the intellect(left brain).Just a suggestion.

Marty

• Premium Member
  • 2 weeks later...

What about how the budget affects the look of a film.

For example: A scene in a hotel room.

No budget for a set to be built, no budget for a tie-in or genny so it must be shot in a real hotel room. This most most likely means grainier film stock, wider angle lenses (and inherent distortions) as well as locked down and/or handheld shots.

I feel that the budget is often the key factor in establishing the aesthetic look of a film.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...