Best TV shows you are watching

What are the most interesting shows you are watching on your home screen? Broadcast, cable (whatever that is) or internet.

I thought it might be interesting for people to share that. What about we give a few words on why we like or what it is about them that we like. Intelligent riffs into anything to to do with how these shows are concieved of or executed, all sounds interesting. If you can be concise, be as challenging as you like. What about we begin our speil with the program title in caps so we see it easily?

TRUE DETECTIVE s03

Me. Just watched the latest season 3 True detective. I'm a great fan, especially of the over written riffs by the actor who looks like a slimed down Vince Vaun. Earlier seasons had some stunning visualizations, looked great, I was hooked in, but as the sinister villain became more identifiable, personified as a, person. It became, too easy or something. I'm relieved that s03 has left that idea behind. Evil is hidden. It's more a quality of proccess within personality. There are a handful of lead actors doing an amazing job in S03, and they are being killed off, so I sort of like the creators and writers too.

Please just have fun.

Gregg

• Premium Member

I worked on Penny Dreadful! :D

The first episodes of the first season were shot by Xavier Gimenez, one of the best Spanish cinematographers in the world and then they moved to, mainly, Irish cinematographers.

The second season was more interesting because Nigel Willoughby came to Ireland to shoot 3 or 4 episodes (I don't remember exactly now), and those are the best ones (from the point of view of the cinematography) from the whole season.

Very very low light levels on set (but for one exterior night where we had a couple of wendys!) :)

Have a good day!

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

I don't have time to watch many things, but I did watch the entire seasons of "House of cards", "Boardwalk Empire", "Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul" and "The Knick" all of which I thought were really well shot. I like well produced content that's based in reality. So many shows go over the top and push the limits of believability. Plus, these particular shows have great characters and content that really draws the audience in.

I personally can't wait for season 2 of the "The Knick".

• Premium Member

"True Detective" is airing Season 2 right now, there hasn't been a Season 3 yet...

I enjoyed Season 1 of "True Detective", haven't watched the second.

I've watched all "Game of Thrones", it's one of my favorites. I started watching "Doctor Who" two seasons ago. I'm a big fan of the "Sherlock" series, seen all of it, but that's only three episodes per season to watch.

I've rented some older U.K. stuff -- watched all the "Spaced" episodes (Simon Pegg / Edgar Wright show), most of "The Thick of It".

Of course, I have my blu-rays of the original "Star Trek" and Season 1 of "Space: 1999" that I re-watch occasionally...

• Premium Member

I worked on Penny Dreadful! :D

The first episodes of the first season were shot by Xavier Gimenez, one of the best Spanish cinematographers in the world and then they moved to, mainly, Irish cinematographers.

The second season was more interesting because Nigel Willoughby came to Ireland to shoot 3 or 4 episodes (I don't remember exactly now), and those are the best ones (from the point of view of the cinematography) from the whole season.

Very very low light levels on set (but for one exterior night where we had a couple of wendys!) :)

Have a good day!

Yup, I'd have to go with Penny Dreadful being the most lush and visually compelling program I've seen on TV in a long while. I enjoyed the stories in the first season a lot more but, photographically, it's been very interesting all along. I recommend at least giving it a viewing.

Phil wrote the feature article on Penny Dreadful in the July issue of AC. Check it out. Very refreshing to see just how much quality John Logan insists on having in every aspect of every episode. It's most evident in the cinematography and costume & production designs.

Still don't get it.

P

Re: Dr. Who...

For some reason, it has never grabbed my attention. But then, I've never been particularly enamored with TV scifi... oh, heck Broadcast TV in general... ok I did watch the "Star Trek: The Geriatric Generation" while was first broadcast... was disappointed when it was canceled... along with the "Smother's Brothers Comedy Hour"... haven't watched broadcast TV since...

But have not really gotten into watching the TV shows, only the feature films (for better or worse...).

With Netflix I've been binge watching a number of shows. Mostly 'within the last 10 years', mostly 'made for cable (aka typically not broadcast TV)', and frequently BBC or other UK productions.

One thing that has struck me in a significant way is the pacing in the UK 'cop' shows... quite different from the usual running around screaming and shouting found in US 'cop' shows. In the UK produced, but placed in Sweden "Wallander", the amount of 'non-dialog' emoting scenes would have sent such a show out the door in the US after perhaps only 2 episodes...

Isn't it a bit wierd that some of the best looking shows have such morbid themes. Is ordinary life less deserving of such expresive observation, or expressive-ness if that sounds better. I found I couldn't keep going with Hanibal. Too ugly an idea. But exquisitely formed, loved the photography.

Critical looks really interesting. I never noticed it before. Looking at a promo on Youtube there was a good sell on the one hour one patient idea, then shortly after, with a zippy assemblage of macros and ECUs ..."we need more blood, we're loosing him...the uterus needs to go back (in?) now"

I just noticed there is a Utopia S02 starting.

Utopia S01 was a fantastic breath of fresh air. An extremly enigmatic concept. An exquisite unveiling. Really interesting, odd, idiosynchratic characters, who unveil(ed) with the reveal or apparent evolution of the story. The look, the cinematography, was extremely enjoyable and succinct. Big contast, candy colors, deliberate compositions.

Did any one else see it? It's not too late. The things that it is reacting to, formally speeking, in terms of idea, shape, character and style...are probably still there. legitimate motivations towards the enjoyment of this.

I just looked into S02 E01 Utopia. Sofar it looks like a very linear explanation of S01, shot on what affects to be 16mm or S8. For those who invested intellect in the watching of S01, it's a real dissapointment. Just my opinion.

Just saw s3 of RIPPER STREET, a series I dearly love which looks good too.

Liked TRANSPARENT but the pilot looked really mushy.

Rewatched CARNIVALE and DEADWOOD earlier in the year, awesome as always, but always bummed since they ended WAY before their time.

15 years late, but finally started CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM last week and am already up to season 5.

My wife loves HANNIBAL, but I don't seem to be able to stay awake most of the time. Now I guess I know how all those people who don't like David Lynch or Tarkovsky feel.

• Premium Member

Just saw s3 of RIPPER STREET, a series I dearly love which looks good too.

Yes it certainly does. I think they're trying for Sherlock Holmes, quite successfully.

Surprised it made it stateside, though.

P

Yes it certainly does. I think they're trying for Sherlock Holmes, quite successfully.

Surprised it made it stateside, though.

P

Ripper Street was actually made for American TV and not the UK.

It was made by Tiger Aspect (I think?) for US TV but then rather oddly got picked up and imported back into blighty again.

The latest series was funded by Amazon of course.

Freya

I just noticed there is a Utopia S02 starting.

I just looked into S02 E01 Utopia. Sofar it looks like a very linear explanation of S01, shot on what affects to be 16mm or S8. For those who invested intellect in the watching of S01, it's a real dissapointment. Just my opinion.

I really liked Season 2 Ep 01 of Utopia. I really liked the complete change of style.

However don't worry the rest of season 2 returns to the original style that's just a one off episode.

Sadly the series got canned after Season 2 so that's your lot.

There was some talk that David Fincher was going to direct a remake for HBO but I hear this project has now fallen apart.

Freya

I really liked Season 2 Ep 01 of Utopia....the complete change of style.

...season 2 returns to the original style...series got canned after Season 2 ...David Fincher was going to direct a remake for HBO but I hear this project has now fallen apart.

How have you seen it already? How?

Is the David Fincher mention a Dragon Tatto joke? It suitably diminishes Fincher, but I don't know who was responsible for the fact of that remake.

How have you seen it already? How?

Is the David Fincher mention a Dragon Tatto joke? It suitably diminishes Fincher, but I don't know who was responsible for the fact of that remake.

I apologize if that was confusing. I hadn't seen S02 E01 and I thought it was a new series. I started watching E02 and realized I had seen it before.