Best TV shows you are watching

Didn't see a thread anywhere about it, but is anybody going to spend the six bucks/mth to watch the new STAR TREK DISCOVERY show when it eventually airs (slated now for May.) Found a report on trekmovie that Guillermo Navarro and Colin Hoult are the DPs on the show. I don't think Navarro has done TV before. Had been thinking the HANNIBAL DP would wind up on the show, but Navarro setting the look and Hoult following might be a good model too.

I still find TREK in my mind running a poor second to TWIN PEAKS when it comes to anticipation (just blew through the whole original series once again during our recent snow/ice shut-in), but keep hoping against hope they can get TREK right. For me, only the original series and DEEP SPACE 9 are really good TV, and I only love three of the features.

I started watching a show called Pure. The word pure being a way of violently conjuncting the attempted purity the culture of the Menonites in the US with crystal meth.

My interest was starting to wain, when in e02 the weighing lab was populated by women in Menonite dress...

I paused...suddenly it was very affecting....

All this TV interest in meth follows in the wake of the ground breaking Breaking Bad....I think that Pure has the opportunity to carry that forward into something else...

I hope...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Altered Carbon is the most interesting show I've seen for a long time. The density of idea is beyond anything I've seen, which is quite refreshing. Many shows try to capture your attention with a very limited palette of ideas. One of its preceptors is clearly the original Bladerunner. The rich, grubby environments, the expressive sense of observation of inimate personal experience.

Joel Kinnerman, who did a great job as the ex addict detective Holder in The Killing, does an amazing job as the lead.

EDIT: Removed repetitive adjective.....

Edited by Gregg MacPherson

Another new show with strong intellect is Counterpart. The idea is founded on the notion of a contemporary parallel universe. A simple tunnel that joins two worlds. Set in Germany, the reference to East/West is clear. And shows set in Germany are cool (Berlin Station..?) J K Simmons' performance leads this show, playing two characters, one from each world, and his wife (Olivia Wlliams..?) is great... Atmosphere and tone rule all. It's very murky. I keep being reminded of cold war spy stories, in an interesting way.

• Like 1

Another new show with strong intellect is Counterpart. The idea is founded on the notion of a contemporary parallel universe. A simple tunnel that joins two worlds. Set in Germany, the reference to East/West is clear. And shows set in Germany are cool (Berlin Station..?) J K Simmons' performance leads this show, playing two characters, one from each world, and his wife (Olivia Wlliams..?) is great... Atmosphere and tone rule all. It's very murky. I keep being reminded of cold war spy stories, in an interesting way.

I pitched covering this to every place I write for last fall, and again in January, and was amazed there was zero interest. Am glad to hear it is as good as its premise, just wish I had a business-expense-for-taxes reason to justify adding Starz in order to watch it!

I got to see the first three episodes of THE LOOMING TOWER for an upcoming article, and that show is absolutely sensational. Very solid performances that don't get undercut by overcutting or DI excesses, and for subject matter I already know a lot about (build to 9/11), I found a lot of surprises and a genuinely engaging emotional throughline. And that was 3/10 eps! Multiple DPs on the series, sometimes with two dp/director teams shooting different eps at the same location and on same day, yet things look very integrated. Am thinking this may be a first-day bluray buy for me, which almost never happens with me anymore.

Edited by KH Martin

• 3 weeks later...

Gimme Danger by Jim Jarmusch is a really nice watch if you are into music documentaries, Iggy Pop and so forth. I bumped into it by accident while thinking about Christopher Boyle, Hong Kong, art, cinematographers who are artists, the strife that Boyle had working with Jarmusch, or vise versa, at least in some BTS. Before I got there I saw this great documentary. Jarmusch I really liked after seeing Stranger Than Paradise. Some of his interviews and BTS are less endearing. Vanity is a cruel master. But this Stooges doco is a good recomendation to him. Maybe good work is worth the vanity.....

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So it looks like the venerable Doctor Who has gotten on the Alexa anamorphic bandwagon. They're using Cooke Anamorphic/i and Alexa XT and Alex Mini. I think it looks great so far.

I love Doctor Who, so I'm down for whatever. There were some really pretty octagonal flares in Sunday's episode, particularly when the TARDIS arrived.

So it looks like the venerable Doctor Who has gotten on the Alexa anamorphic bandwagon. They're using Cooke Anamorphic/i and Alexa XT and Alex Mini. I think it looks great so far.

I love Doctor Who, so I'm down for whatever. There were some really pretty octagonal flares in Sunday's episode, particularly when the TARDIS arrived.

I remember as a kid .. must have been late 60,s.. there was at least one Doc Who feature film.. big budget for the day and done in a serious way..while the TV show was still guys wrapped in silver foil..! there might have been 3 all together.. ?

Okay, I'm biased. I always thought the earliest Dr Whos were the best. I especially liked Patrick Troughton best (who matches up with my first Doctor - no surprises there I guess). Next favourite is a tie between Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker. The earliest Dr Whos were terrifying psychological dramas often, at least for young kids. They had to be as the budgets were so meagre they had to imply fear and evil rather than mostly show it. Very clever productions on a shoe string!! So much modern filmmakers can learn from I reckon. 'Web of Fear' and perhaps especially 'Fury from the Deep' were marvellous. I remember as a kid the terror of the ghastly seaweed, that had somehow acquired an evil sentience, dropping through the air vents. I lived not far from a beach in Melbourne that often had stinky seaweed. For a while, it horrified me. Oh, the imagination!

Edited by Jon O'Brien

Yes thats the one.. Peter Cushing no less.. I remember seeing it as a kid in London.. there any others ? ..quite scary..Im sure there was another one of Daleks attacking London.. or maybe that was just wish full thinking ! The Cyber men was the one that really scared me.. there were also some episodes set in the London Underground of trains being sent down death ends and full of skeletons !..very scary.. early 70,s I think.. for at least a month I would refuse to travel on the tube.. but too embarrassed to say why.. just crying and making a fuss at the entrance .. my mother was getting really pissed off, pretty sure she slapped me more than once but I wouldn't do it.. and it cost her a fortune as we had to go everywhere by taxi !!.. had tons of Dalek toys in those days.. huge battery powered ones down to really tiny ones you could zoom over flat surfaces with a ball bearing in the bottom.. heady days indeed !

Edited by Robin R Probyn

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Is anyone watching Too Old to Die Young by Nicolas Winding Refn? I'm persevering into episode 2 and feeling quite frustrated. I really admire some of NWR's work, but this feels like Lynch having an epiphany, but hampered by methodone or something.  But there is something there I can't put my finger on that draws me on...

The psychological/spiritual things being explored, there is an as yet unexpressed explosion of possible forms that could serve, that you feel just may not happen...but hey, it's just the movies, TV or whatever.

Actually, I do blame the legacy of Lynch. He was too persuasive.