How can I do this effect?

Hi forum.

A client has tasked me to film multiple takes of a medical injection - and I'd rather not stab a poor actor multiple times so what options do I have?

For reasons I will not go into detail for, I cannot use a dummy object, CGI would be the best option. Are there any tutorials out there on this? Has anyone done anything simliar?

Thanks

Edited by Yash Lucid

• Premium Member

Maybe make a prop syringe where the needle -- without a point on it -- gets retracted back into the syringe body as it it pushed against skin, so that the only thing you may need to add with CGI is the tip of the needle, which disappears the moment it gets pushed into the skin? Even if you had to replace the whole needle with CGI, at least you'd have the straight portion in the image as a guide for replacement and tracking.

Is it an insert shot? Can you just get a bunch of talent with similar skin tones and arm texture to the actor and shoot it for real multiple times?

Satsuki volunteers to be the first in line to be injected for real. All for the sake of film.

Your suggestion is so terrible I can't find words...

An insert shot indeed .. is it only one actor.. . surely you only need to do the actual "insertion" shot once.. with that actor or some under paid standin.. plenty of other shots you can do for the edit.. anything wide just fake it.. no one will ever see.. even close up you can hide the actual needle going in.. the old trick of close up of face/ flinch .. the magic of cinema .. everyone will believe they got a needle stuck in them..

If its just one guy getting lots of jabs.. well fake as many wider shots.. some other angles where you don't actually see the needle go in.. or a fake prop syringe/CGI..

Its going to be pretty horrible viewing if the dir wants to actually see close up the needle really going in ,in close up over multiple takes.. better give the audience some buckets I think..

Edited by Robin R Probyn

• Premium Member

How is it in any way a good idea to inject a needle of anything or nothing into a talent at all-- for any shot? I am sure the actor will have much to say about this whole idea.

Find yourself a gag-needle which retracts, or cheat the whole thing in editing.

If it is an epidermal and saline solution, it's no problem. Your pharmaceutical client can possibly arrange that.

On the other hand, you'll need a makeup artist, some long injection needles and a butcher. Go to your local butcher and get a cut of pork with skin still intact. If the cut is frozen, you can allow it to thaw overnight in the refrigerator. You won't be able to stab a needle into it if it is rock solid. Wash skin surface with soap and water and pat dry.

Get a good macro lens, usually a long telephoto that does macro or even a regular 50mm lens with +4 closeup diopter.

Have the makeup artist apply a foundation on your pork that closely matches that of the actor's skin tone. Compose in a way you don't see the edges. Get in really close. You may just want to see the bottom portion of the syringe where the plunger bottoms out, pushing the last milliliter of liquid for effect.

Have your actor wince in medium shot so the general public can feel pain and uneasiness. Unfortunately, the pork cut cannot convey same.

• Upvote 1