Transitioning from Commercials to TV/Movie world...how?

Hi All, as it states in the topic, I've been struggling to figure out my way to go from commercial world to TV/Movie world and I need your advice!

I've started to work on commercials as a PA about 6 years ago, went to a film school, and climbed up the ladder long enough to purchase AC gears and gadgetries and been getting mid-high range commercials as a 1st AC enough to make a living, but I always knew in the corner of my head that I wanted to go work on feature films or single camera TV shows. After digging through production gig websites and sending usual emails to the colleagues I know, I've realized all my contacts are mainly commercial and I really don't know anyone who works in a narrative filming world.

I want to make a critical decision by this year, but I honestly don't know where to begin. I've even thought of starting from the bottom by abandoning all my AC gears and go work on narrative shows as a PA to climb up the ladder again. Ideally I would love to get a Camera PA position on features for starters, but I don't know where one can go and get positions like that.

So please, the experts in cinematography.com, what are your advices? Any kind of guides would help. I deeply appreciate your comments.

• Premium Member

If you can get on a union show as a Camera PA on a union show, that might be good. You mainly need to expand your network of camera department folks so I would just try to meet more experienced 1st ACs at industry events, the rental house, etc and see if you can get them to take you on as a 2nd AC on the types of shows you want to work on.