How to attach camera notes to the back of the slate

Hi everybody, I'd like to get a little smoothier in my 2nd ac duties and I'd like to know the best best to attach the camera notes on the back of the slate. I've seen/heard people use clipboard attached with velcro to the back of the slate. I've seen that the standard slate size is W11 x H9.5, do you think a clipboard 6x9 would fit the purpose?

Do you know any other method to attach the camera notes on the slates?

Thanks so much for the help!

• Premium Member

Small clipboard with Velcro is good. Use a clip to keep the bottom of camera report from getting folded and torn. If you are using a dumb slate, remove the clipboard once you have all your info and put it away in your run bag so that the slate can still be visibly backlit.

• Premium Member

I wonder why anybody would want to attach the camera report to the slate when it is easier to have a small notebook in one of your pockets and write the things in it as you change the numbers / etc

Not only is easier but it is a better way to keep track of the things and keep the notebooks together (for blocks of series for example)

I have seen the notes on the back twice in my life and I still don't get the point! So much hassle with clipboards, velcro, etc..

Especially nowadays that there is a DIT on set 99% of the time and who takes a photo of your camera reports and creates the final camera report!!

Have a good day!

i'm going to side with miguel - why do you need to attach notes to the back of the slate?

are you talking about attaching the camera report book?

otherwise, just stick tape to the back of it and write on tape,

and transfer the information later

• 3 weeks later...

hi Davide,

I always have a small clipboard and velcro it on the back of the slate and have another binder clips on the other side.

I have been using this system for years, it works great for me. It fits with dummy slate, smart slate, mini smart slate, insert slate, or you can put it on the pouch (depends how big your pouch is).

This does not take a lot of work. I always keep velcro soft and hard side at least half foot in my pouch with fiskar scissor, it can be done in less than a min.

The system of having camera log book putting it in your pouch is way too much work and you don't have hard surface to write on.

Production gives us 3 pages(white, pink, yellow pages) of camera log, each card reload, you give one to production, one to post production/DIT, one for yourself.

I never had a DIT takes a picture of my log.

• 3 weeks later...